Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you feel mentally healthy? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you feel mentally healthy at school/uni/work?
    Almost always
    18.46%
    Currently yes, but not in the past
    24.19%
    Not really
    38.02%
    Not at all
    19.32%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulgylau)
    I'm fine acc
    whatever u say hunny boo
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    Rationally: If the majority of people aren't mentally healthy, by logic, that means they are just normal, not mentally unhealthy. This makes the whole poll and premise of the question redundant.
    Probably a decent amount of selection bias in this poll.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Probably a decent amount of selection bias in this poll.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestShadow)
    Yes I would say so

I think its important to be realistic though and realise that the default state of the brain is not 'happy', maybe a lower level of 'content' , don't worry if you feel down from time to time or dont feel happy every morning
    This is a good point, I'm sure plenty of people who think they're not mentally healthy actually are, but think they aren't because they feel down once in a while. I would think only a small percentage are actually suffer from poor mental health. I mean I'm depressed/stressed way more often than I should be but I still think it would be a long shot to say I have a mental health problem, rather I am just exhibiting rational responses to frequent adversity.

ReputationRep:
    No. I currently have depression and self harm (not going into it further). It gets really really bad on some days. Thinking about it, I've been struggling with my mental health for years, but have only recently seen a GP about it. I had a whole host of other issues which may have contributed and certainly haven't helped with it. But please, if you are feeling low, talk to somebody about it, you shouldn't have to feel like that no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I think it’s getting better but low mood has been a perpetual state of affairs for me for years. I have spoke to my academic tutor about it and honestly I found the whole experience embarrassing so I rarely talk about it with people IRL...
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by ForestShadow)
    Yes I would say so

I think its important to be realistic though and realise that the default state of the brain is not 'happy', maybe a lower level of 'content' , don't worry if you feel down from time to time or dont feel happy every morning
    Agree with that, the problem is when your head is never in that neutral contented space and for no reason is below everyone else's baseline. By starting off with a lower base it means that when something good happens your curve never reaches the positive section of this hypothetical graph and when something bad happens it tips you over the edge since you started lower than everyone else in the first place.
    If people start at a lower base in the mornings every once in a while that is normal but when it goes on for months or years then it becomes a problem and speaking from experience it is very easy to trick yourself into thinking this is normal when actually it's not, well it is your 'normal' but to mental health professionals it is a MH problem.
    There needs to be a balance imho of people not self diagnosing (never once used the word depression or i feel depressed i dont think in these 1 and a half years of this stuff going on for that reason, used the word anxiety but not as a diagnosis just a description of palpitations etc) but people also realising when stuff isn't healthy and normal and that they need to get help for (something which i was terrible at and have only recently become better at and now have better support because of being diagnosed). Feel like now it is ok to say i am depressed and have anxiety because it is written on official finance and GP forms although that doesnt mean i didnt have it before just that i wouldnt go around saying it (not that would now inrl, only say it on here since it is the only place feel comfortable doing it and MH support threads are really good for advice on here).
    Idk what this reply was really, just think there should be a balance of everything, people shouldn't be quick to dismiss stuff but also shouldn't immediately think they have something the moment they are sad
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I started a job 4 weeks ago and I'm really really struggling. I ticked the "I have a disability " box on the form when I got hired but I feel too scared and embarrassed to talk to anyone about how much I'm struggling. It's a good job and I know I should be thankful I have it but everyday is such a battle. I think the worst part is trying to hide what's going on with me from my colleagues. They already think I'm kinda weird and I feel so ashamed of myself and like I need to pull myself together or they're going to think even worse.

I really don't know what to do. I know this organisation took a chance on me as I have little experience and I have little chance of getting another job this good but day to day I am having a lot of difficulty holding things together.
    Just to say that we get a lot of these concerns about disability in Disabled Students so feel free to get involved there.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    I feel mentally healthy yes, but if I didn't why is it my uni's responsibility to give a ****? That would be my issue to handle and as such I would see someone about it, you can't expect any educational or work environment to look after you like an infant.
    It's a thing called duty of care. For instance, if you're living in halls you're trusting the university to have provided adequate facilities by living there. They have a duty of care towards you in return for that trust (and money) which you are giving them.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Rationally: If the majority of people aren't mentally healthy, by logic, that means they are just normal, not mentally unhealthy. This makes the whole poll and premise of the question redundant.
    That makes no sense. The majority of people are also physically unhealthy... therefore they're actually healthy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    That makes no sense. The majority of people are also physically unhealthy... therefore they're actually healthy?
    It actually makes perfect sense, evidentially you can't comprehend it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsMars)
    I spoke to my doctor this summer after hitting an all time low last year with my MH, but wasn't able to get a diagnosis as I left the country for an indefinite period of time. I'm 98% sure it's depression and anxiety, and maybe even PTSD although I'm not so sure about that.
    All I know is that my MH has been a shambles for around 5 years now and I hit rock bottom last year.

Belonging to an asian family, our culture and society isn't very accepting of thesr things so it's hard to deal with and express openly, but after a very heated outburst with my mum, I feel like she might (somewhat) understand. That's good, but I've definitely still got a LONG way to go.

My college has designated guidance counsellers for anyone with MH concerns, but I'm just not ready to do it yet. It was hard with my doctor and I don't think I can do it all again, even though I know I need the support at this point. :facepalm:
    Thank you for sharing this with us:sadnod: If you haven't already please feel free to use the Mental health forum to share your experiences and seek advice. The community there are incredibly supportive.

I would encourage you to speak with your college MH support:yes: if you're having difficulties with your MH and your studies.:yes:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IssyCon)
    No. I currently have depression and self harm (not going into it further). It gets really really bad on some days. Thinking about it, I've been struggling with my mental health for years, but have only recently seen a GP about it. I had a whole host of other issues which may have contributed and certainly haven't helped with it. But please, if you are feeling low, talk to somebody about it, you shouldn't have to feel like that no matter what.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.:yes:

It's good that you're starting to get medical help.

You are more than welcome to continue sharing your thoughts and experiences in the Mental health forum.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    No. Three years in the abyss. I know the things I need to do to improve my life (though constant awareness of the time wasted depresses) but every time I try to take practical steps towards those (small) goals, something immovable obstructs it. I'm always repressing things because excessive displays of emotion disgust me, but this leads to internal rage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Nice explanation pal

Moronic comment, 60% of people are overweight and so unhealthy, therefore it's the norm therefore they're actually healthy!!
    Yes, they are healthy relative to other humans. It does make sense. Not all those who voted mentally unhealthy are healthy, but by definition of normal, a decent proportion is.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordBerkut)
    No. Three years in the abyss. I know the things I need to do to improve my life (though constant awareness of the time wasted depresses) but every time I try to take practical steps towards those (small) goals, something immovable obstructs it. I'm always repressing things because excessive displays of emotion disgust me, but this leads to internal rage.
    You could do with some form of an outlet where you don't feel like you're bothering/burdening anyone, yet you are able to get things off your chest. Am I right?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are healthy relative to other humans. It does make sense. Not all those who voted mentally unhealthy are healthy, but by definition of normal, a decent proportion is.
    You're confusing normal with TSR.

A larger proportion of people with MH issues will have voted in this poll than the proportion of users with MH issues on TSR generally. Simply due to the general activity of the forums.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Barring a period of say, 6 months, where I was, for lack of a better phrase, quite all over the place with very bad stress and some anxiety thrown in, I've always been mentally healthy. Today, I would consider myself extremely strong in that regard, probably because of my past experiences.

ReputationRep:
    It's not relative. If the number of people who are suicidal crosses 50%, wanting to kill yourself doesn't become a sign of good mental health

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.