Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What topics do you do at university that are new and haven’t been covered at ALevel? I’m trying to find some new areas I might be interested in but I can’t find a specific list. By topic, I mean eg. Computational Chemistry
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perks23)
    What topics do you do at university that are new and haven’t been covered at ALevel? I’m trying to find some new areas I might be interested in but I can’t find a specific list. By topic, I mean eg. Computational Chemistry
    Honestly, there aren't any topics you learn at degree level chemistry that you have covered at A-level. because A-level doesnt have the time or space to cover anything in much depth.

as an example, some first year topics:

Thermodynamics (even if you think you've covered this at A-level, you haven't)
    Quantum Mechanics
    Reaction kinetics (ie actually solving the differential equations)

Structures and thermodynamics of ionic solids
    Introductory Molecular Orbital Theory
    Transtion Metal chemistry (including the effects of the ligand field and exchange energy on electronic configurations of compounds)

Nucleophilic substitution and elimination
    Unsaturated and aromatic Chemistry (including addition via bromonium (neglected at a level) ozonolysis etc. etc.)
    Conformation and stereochemistry

Even the topics above that you learn about at a level eg some thermodynamics; transition metals and some of the mechanistic organic chemistry are at a completely different level of depth at university, so basically, anywhere you can find a list of what is covered in a degree, you have the list of what is new

See here: http://teaching.chem.ox.ac.uk/Data/S...ok2016-.v2.pdf

page 21 onwards (prelims is first year material; part 1a is second year; part 1b is third year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    Honestly, there aren't any topics you learn at degree level chemistry that you have covered at A-level. because A-level doesnt have the time or space to cover anything in much depth.

as an example, some first year topics:

Thermodynamics (even if you think you've covered this at A-level, you haven't)
    Quantum Mechanics
    Reaction kinetics (ie actually solving the differential equations)

Structures and thermodynamics of ionic solids
    Introductory Molecular Orbital Theory
    Transtion Metal chemistry (including the effects of the ligand field and exchange energy on electronic configurations of compounds)

Nucleophilic substitution and elimination
    Unsaturated and aromatic Chemistry (including addition via bromonium (neglected at a level) ozonolysis etc. etc.)
    Conformation and stereochemistry

Even the topics above that you learn about at a level eg some thermodynamics; transition metals and some of the mechanistic organic chemistry are at a completely different level of depth at university, so basically, anywhere you can find a list of what is covered in a degree, you have the list of what is new

See here: http://teaching.chem.ox.ac.uk/Data/S...ok2016-.v2.pdf

page 21 onwards (prelims is first year material; part 1a is second year; part 1b is third year)
    Thanks you!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.