Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need to buy a TV licence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni and I would like to watch live tv and BBC iPlayer. I know this requires a licence but I saw the following on the TV licensing website:
    "A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
    Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence
    AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
    AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains."

Now, my parents have a TV licence so do I need to buy one separately if I watch BBC programmes on my laptop without it plugged into the mains (i.e. the battery is charged up)? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    I'm at uni and I would like to watch live tv and BBC iPlayer. I know this requires a licence but I saw the following on the TV licensing website:
    "A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
    AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries

Now, my parents have a TV licence so do I need to buy one separately if I watch BBC programmes on my laptop without it plugged into the mains (i.e. the battery is charged up)? Thanks
    I'd suggest reading this.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you fulfil the conditions (parents have licence, internal batteries, no aerial) then no you don't. And there's no requirement to tell TV Licensing anything either.

ReputationRep:
    No.

(Original post by MrDoggyPants)
    I'd suggest reading this.
    Given that the OP quoted that site, you might have realised they had already read it.

ReputationRep:
    The rules have changed slightly.
    The start of the academic year will bring many changes for students, including, for the first time, the need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand on iPlayer. A change in the law means as of 1 September 2016, a licence will be needed to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.
    In reality not much is likely to happen
    Enforcement agents may visit your room but remember that you do not have to open the door and definitely do not let them in.
    You will probably get letters galore so make sure you know you’re right, inform tv licensing you do t need one and stick to your guns.
    If you move into a shared house next year then you’ll probably have to get one and split the cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Given that the OP quoted that site, you might have realised they had already read it.
    Fair do's.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't need one don't contact them, it just means they will harass you more.

ReputationRep:
    Just as there's no requirement to tell anyone that you don't need a fishing licence, a driving licence or a windfarm licence, there's no requirement to tell anyone you don't need a tv licence.

If you do decide to make contact with TV Licencing (which in reality is Capita plc, a private company) then you'll end up on their database and get follow-up letters to deal with. Why deal with them when you don't have to?

They will probably not be able to track you. I worked in student accommodation for a while and the accommodation team just binned TV licence letters. I wouldn't worry about it. If by some miracle they manage to track you, then just claim ignorance.

ReputationRep:

As long as you use battery power then it's fine - that's what I did when I lived in student halls. If/when you move into a house in your second year or beyond it's worth checking if a TV licence is included in the rent or getting one and sharing the cost as you'll have a TV then, but for this year just use your device's battery.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    The rules have changed slightly.
    The start of the academic year will bring many changes for students, including, for the first time, the need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand on iPlayer. A change in the law means as of 1 September 2016, a licence will be needed to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.
    In reality not much is likely to happen
    Enforcement agents may visit your room but remember that you do not have to open the door and definitely do not let them in.
    You will probably get letters galore so make sure you know you’re right, inform tv licensing you do t need one and stick to your guns.
    If you move into a shared house next year then you’ll probably have to get one and split the cost
    Yes, but the OP is using a device powered by its internal batteries, so is covered by their parents TV licence...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Yes, but the OP is using a device powered by its internal batteries, so is covered by their parents TV licence...
    The law changed on 1 September 2016. You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. Don’t forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service

Licensing service.

ReputationRep:
    The law changed on 1 September 2016.
    But only to the extent of requiring a licence for iPlayer. The provisions for battery-powered devices are still the same, and the OP's parents' licence is sufficient.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The law changed on 1 September 2016. You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. Don’t forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service

Licensing service.
    Good bloke has replied for me on this one - you're very much mistaken, Sammy Lou.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    As long as you use battery power then it's fine - that's what I did when I lived in student halls. If/when you move into a house in your second year or beyond it's worth checking if a TV licence is included in the rent or getting one and sharing the cost as you'll have a TV then, but for this year just use your device's battery.
    How would Capita even know if the laptop was plugged into the mains? Presumably when you plug something in the grid doesn't get notified of what device it is? Unless they physically come into your room and see it plugged in I don't see how they would know, especially when you wouldn't be connected to an aerial.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    How would Capita even know if the laptop was plugged into the mains? Presumably when you plug something in the grid doesn't get notified of what device it is? Unless they physically come into your room and see it plugged in I don't see how they would know, especially when you wouldn't be connected to an aerial.
    They don't, haha. Not without looking, anyway. Just ignore them when they try contacting
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You answered your own question - they would see it plugged in. How do they see it plugged in? You let them in to your premises. Do you have to let them in? No. Can they gain access? Yes, but only if they have a warrant? Will they have one on a first visit? No, of course not. Should you resist any attempt to gain unwarranted entry? Yes, of course, even if you are using it within the law.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn’t matter to me. They are direct quotes from the website
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...couk-lawchange
    A license is required to watch any bbc content however and whenever you watch. It’s not a mistake
    Good bloke has replied for me on this one - you're very much mistaken, Sammy Lou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    But only to the extent of requiring a licence for iPlayer. The provisions for battery-powered devices are still the same, and the OP's parents' licence is sufficient.
    IT does say specifically in the post for iPlayer
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It doesn’t matter to me. They are direct quotes from the website
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...couk-lawchange
    Yes, and if you looked a little more carefully, you'd see this: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i.../students-aud1

A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
    • Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence
    • AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
    • AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.