Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need to buy a TV licence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    IT does say specifically in the post for iPlayer
    As I said. But the law on battery devices and being away from home with one, by a family member, has not changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    As I said. But the law on battery devices and being away from home with one, by a family member, has not changed.
    I never disagreed with you, merely noted the change with regard to iPlayer
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Which has nothing to do with the OP, as they are covered by a valid TV licence...

ReputationRep:
    Then I don't understand your intervention, which has only served to cause confusion. The OP has a valid licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Yes, and if you looked a little more carefully, you'd see this: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i.../students-aud1

A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
    • Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence
    • AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
    • AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.
    That issue isn’t in dispute. I never disagreed. I merely pointed out that even with those conditions met, if you use iPlayer they’ll want you to buy a license
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That issue isn’t in dispute. I never disagreed. I merely pointed out that even with those conditions met, if you use iPlayer they’ll want you to buy a license
    No... You need to be covered by a valid licence to use iPlayer - being covered by a parent's licence IS being covered by a valid licence! Stop spouting nonsense!

ReputationRep:
    Then I don't understand your intervention, which has only served to cause confusion. The OP has a valid licence.
    No. It’s been twisted out of context. I merely pointed out that since last year, for all devices, battery, mains laptops phones whatever, a license is required to use iPlayer

ReputationRep:
    I merely pointed out that even with those conditions met, if you use iPlayer they’ll want you to buy a license
    But that is not true as the OP's parents have a licence which the OP can rely on at university as long as the PC is running on battery power and not plugged in. The OP does not need to buy a licence.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    I'm at uni and I would like to watch live tv and BBC iPlayer. I know this requires a licence but I saw the following on the TV licensing website:
    "A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
    Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence
    AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
    AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains."

Now, my parents have a TV licence so do I need to buy one separately if I watch BBC programmes on my laptop without it plugged into the mains (i.e. the battery is charged up)? Thanks
    "There is just one exception to this rule. If you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries, you will be covered by your parents' TV Licence. However, you must not install the device (e.g. plug it into the mains) when using it to receive TV. To check whether this exception applies to you, see student information."
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...mc_id=r107&x=0

So theoretically you would be covered as long as your laptop was unplugged. I doubt they're going to actually accept that though since you will be charging your laptop at at least some times. I would play it safe and get a licence or find a customer support email/ phone number to ask them.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    So theoretically you would be covered as long as your laptop was unplugged. I doubt they're going to actually accept that though since you will be charging your laptop at at least some times
    The OP made it clear that they would be watching without the laptop plugged in, and the need to charge it beforehand or afterwards is irrelevant. So your advised purchase of another licence would be a waste of money.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The OP made it clear that they would be watching without the laptop plugged in, and the need to charge it beforehand or afterwards is irrelevant. So your advised purchase of another licence would be a waste of money.
    It also depends on if anybody actually believes that they won't be watching it while plugged in. They could claim whatever they wanted and I honestly doubt that anybody is going to believe they won't be watching anything with their laptop plugged in.
    That's why I said I would play it safe rather than saying they need one. It's just my personal advice, they can decide if it's worth it or not.

who's going to find out???? how will they ever know???? do u think the bbc are going to come knocking at ur door every time u plug ur laptop into the charger???

ReputationRep:
    It also depends on if anybody actually believes that they won't be watching it while plugged in. They could claim whatever they wanted and I honestly doubt that anybody is going to believe they won't be watching anything with their laptop plugged in.
    That's why I said I would play it safe rather than saying they need one. It's just my personal advice, they can decide if it's worth it or not.
    What anyone 'believes' is irrelevant, and if the OP took your 'personal advice' they'd be wasting 147 quid.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    What anyone 'believes' is irrelevant, and if the OP took your 'personal advice' they'd be wasting 147 quid.
    The issue is weather the people who sort out TV licence stuff believe it. They do have a habit of checking in on uni students from what I know.

Btw, Tuffyandtab I suggest you let them know if you don't think you'll need a licence (or will be covered by your home one). It should a) check you're right about it and b) stop any issues if they do decide to check on you. Here's a link:
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...d-a-tv-licence
    (sorry if it's already been covered- I can't be bothered to check through all the replies)

ReputationRep:
    The issue is weather the people who sort out TV licence stuff believe it.
    No. The issue is what they can prove, not what they believe, and only an idiot lets the TV licence people into their room (the only way they can get proof) without a warrant.

ReputationRep:
    No. The issue is what they can prove, not what they believe, and only an idiot lets the TV licence people into their room (the only way they can get proof) without a warrant.
    This. People don't realise TV Licensing is just a private company and what they're looking for is to invoice you. You are in no ways obliged to facilitate their inquiries and failing to do so will result in approximately zilch.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is weather the people who sort out TV licence stuff believe it. They do have a habit of checking in on uni students from what I know.
    This is where it pays dividends to 'know' better: specifically, that the enforcement bureau responsible for TV licensing investigations does not, contrary to popular belief, wield a greater mandate than the Metropolitan Police and, as such, can do precisely ****-all without a warrant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    I'm at uni and I would like to watch live tv and BBC iPlayer. I know this requires a licence but I saw the following on the TV licensing website:
    "A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
    Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence
    AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
    AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains."

Now, my parents have a TV licence so do I need to buy one separately if I watch BBC programmes on my laptop without it plugged into the mains (i.e. the battery is charged up)? Thanks
    I was not going too, then got the letter you described. Go for it.
    ( won't be held liable for any charges )
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    This. People don't realise TV Licensing is just a private company and what they're looking for is to invoice you. You are in no ways obliged to facilitate their inquiries and failing to do so will result in approximately zilch.
    (Original post by Profesh)
    This is where it pays dividends to 'know' better: specifically, that the enforcement bureau responsible for TV licensing investigations does not, contrary to popular belief, wield a greater mandate than the Metropolitan Police and, as such, can do precisely ****-all without a warrant.
    Fair enough. I guess I've been told too many scare stories.

So basically keep it unplugged and remember you can tell them to bugger off if they do get pissy. I'll remember that for if it comes up again.

ReputationRep:
    TV Licensing also have to PROVE that a suspect was watching a LIVE programme (or iPlayer) and not a recording before invoking a prosecution for TV licence evasion. This could be difficult for viewers of offbeat or obscure TV channels. A local Kurdish owned shop has a TV showing a Kurdish satellite TV channel. When TV Licensing has called round the owner claimed it is a pre-recorded programme. As the satellite receiver is not visible then TV Licensing has to take his word for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.