Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need to buy a TV licence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The way the TV licensing system works regarding BBC iplayer is stupid and doesn't make any sense especially for students. I emailed them about it last year about it when it all first changed because I didn't get it.

Basically if your permanent address is still your parents house which it should be if you're in halls and they have a TV licence you're covered. Also if you're watching iplayer on a portable device that isn't plugged into the mains its legal even if you don't have a licence which means if you unplug your laptop it's fine. (I know it's dumb but those are the legitimate rules. It's only illegal if it's plugged in.)

Also I would just say don't worry about it. The detector van stuff is largely scaremongering. Granted with a TV signal they could track it, with things like iPlayer it's impossible for them to actually track you using that because even if they could they can only get your IP address and if you're in halls you're using uni wifi so it will just go to the uni's IP address which would just indicate anyone on the university campus. Also even if they can get the IP address etc they can't tell through that if you're watching it on a laptop that's plugged in or not so it's basically a dead end.

Basically 99% of all that is ******** when it comes to watching iPlayer. I don't see how in any way they could actually convict someone in regards to watching iPlayer. A lot of what they say is to just scare people into spending extra money over fear of getting fined when in reality they're not gonna get fined anyway.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you plan on watching iPlayer and the like, then yes. This happened to my flatmate last year. We were watching the US presidential results on BBC iPlayer and few days later he got a letter saying he needed a TV licence, otherwise it's hefty a fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesdye05)
    If you plan on watching iPlayer and the like, then yes. This happened to my flatmate last year. We were watching the US presidential results on BBC iPlayer and few days later he got a letter saying he needed a TV licence, otherwise it's hefty a fine.
    You haven't read a single one of the replies, have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You haven't read a single one of the replies, have you?
    Someone said they can't track you so I made my comment straight away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    "There is just one exception to this rule. If you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries, you will be covered by your parents' TV Licence. However, you must not install the device (e.g. plug it into the mains) when using it to receive TV. To check whether this exception applies to you, see student information."
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...mc_id=r107&x=0

So theoretically you would be covered as long as your laptop was unplugged. I doubt they're going to actually accept that though since you will be charging your laptop at at least some times. I would play it safe and get a licence or find a customer support email/ phone number to ask them.

Hope that helps
    The part you quoted, could you give me the source of that quote. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    The part you quoted, could you give me the source of that quote. Thanks.
    Oops. Sorry I thought that was the right one. Here it is:
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ32

ReputationRep:
    even if you do, don't pay it as the BBC can go f*** itself.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you didn't pay it. Everybody gets that Letter and they can't track you at all.

ReputationRep:
    There's absolutely no link to what you were doing and receiving a letter, you'd have got the letter regardless just because your property didn't have a licence at the time.

ReputationRep:
    No. BBC goons will try to harass you but you don't need to let them in your property.

If they came to my halls, I would call security.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.