Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Man loses claim against IVF clinic for “unwanted child” after ex forged his signature Watch

ReputationRep:
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-41525215

It doesn’t mention whether he must pay child support or not, just that the clinic doesn’t have to. But if he does have to pay and there are no charges against his ex-girlfriend then.. :facepalm:

Boys who are raped still have to pay child support, why would the courts be any more lenient to fully grown men?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Boys who are raped still have to pay child support, why would the courts be any more lenient to fully grown men?
      True but wishful thinking.. :moon:
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mr Smurf)

It doesn’t mention whether he must pay child support or not, just that the clinic doesn’t have to. But if he does have to pay and there are no charges against his ex-girlfriend then.. :facepalm:
      That's just it. Only the people involved know what the next steps will be.

The judge did absolve the father of any misconduct in this case while fully acknowledging the mother broke the law.

Since there is unlikely to be any precedent in law, if the mother files for support, I guess the father may be able to contest this because it can be shown she broke the law.

Perhaps his legal team advised him to sue the clinic as his best option? Who knows?

In the circumstances, he may ask for the same legal rights as if he were an anonymous donor, because the conception was without his consent. i.e. he did not voluntarily have sex or agree for his sperm to be used in this way.

In which case any child support financial case may be dismissed.

Bit of a minefield where once again, the only winners are the lawyers.

ReputationRep:
      Boys who are raped still have to pay child support
      How can this be? Males cannot get pregnant, and rape is exclusively a crime involving penetration by a penis.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mr Smurf)

Just like the millions of other fathers in this country who shag and then move on leaving thousands of womento bring up kids with no fathers . And i am sorry if this offends people but this is the reality.

I have two brothers in law who have not paid a penny towards their children and yet my fiance whose wife changed the locks once his daughter was born pays every month as he should and has a good relationship with his daughter. Not so good with the ex wife.....

ReputationRep:
      I bet she is a feminist

(Original post by Good bloke)
        How can this be? Males cannot get pregnant, and rape is exclusively a crime involving penetration by a penis.
        Even the law concedes that 13 year old boys can be raped, as in statutory rape.

As for male sexual assault victims (i.e. rape victims in all but the law), they also have to pay child support.

ReputationRep:
        rape victims in all but the law
        So not rape victims then.

(Original post by Good bloke)
          So not rape victims then.
          The legal definition is different to that in common usage. The Oxford Dictionary, for example, lists rape as:

The crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will.

The "typically committed by a man" shows that this definition is open to the idea of female perpetrators, rather than just those with penises.

ReputationRep:
          I'm not sure that this decision is necessarily wrong; the question of whether the clinic had been negligent was a question of fact that was decided by the judge, having heard the evidence.

The judge was not casting judgment on the father or saying his outrage was unjustified; in fact, the judge said precisely the opposite. The mother is a manipulative and dishonest woman.

If he is found liable for child support he should look into whether he can sue the mother; of course, the damages would simply set off and zero out the child support liability.

But what cause of action could he use? The tort of deceit wouldn't work because she didn't deceive him, she deceived the clinic. Maybe one of the economic torts, fraud or conspiracy, or even tortious interference. It's a fascinating legal conundrum

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
          Just like the millions of other fathers in this country who shag and then move on leaving thousands of womento bring up kids with no fathers . And i am sorry if this offends people but this is the reality.

I have two brothers in law who have not paid a penny towards their children and yet my fiance whose wife changed the locks once his daughter was born pays every month as he should and has a good relationship with his daughter. Not so good with the ex wife.....
          There are men who act horribly, but in this particular case (which is what we are talking about) the woman was the person in the wrong. I know your husband cheated on you and you now hate all men, but at least attempt to be objective.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by YaliaV)
          There are men who act horribly, but in this particular case (which is what we are talking about) the woman was the person in the wrong. I know your husband cheated on you and you now hate all men, but at least attempt to be objective.
          Whee did you get I hate all men. My fiance is delightful and as I said doies the right thing. I have two sons whim I hope will be loyal and good husbands. I dislike men who ßhag and go., and they do

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2017
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.