Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So it doesn't help that I'm ill and my room is freezing, but I'm wondering what the point to getting a degree is. I enjoy my subject but I feel like I can learn more, and enjoy it more, with my books at home. But I know if I went home I'd have to get a job and that depresses me too. The idea of working every day in a field that means nothing to me fills me with dread.

I guess I just wish society was different and less about business and money so we could all enjoy our lives more and share resources. it seems everything is paperwork and doing things for the sake of doing things and ticking boxes or targets.

I haven't been moping - I was out and about yesterday despite being ill, but today I have had to admit defeat and centre my life around my bed.

I'm at Cambridge and like the lectures here. I can't imagine feeling better at another university academics wise, even if we do hear a little too much about 'world-renowned experts'.

ReputationRep:
    There must be a reason why you chose to study your subject - interest and/or career options. Plus, you are at Cambridge, so you have some of the best libraries and resources. You might not get that if you stayed at home. University is also an experience, not just study. It does open doors for you, give you a lot of opportunities and meet lots of people. Do you have any positive feelings about studying where you are now?

You say that your room is freezing and you are ill. Does this have any bearing? If you have problems with your room, go to the people in charge of accommodation and tell them to fix it. After all you are paying for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    There must be a reason why you chose to study your subject - interest and/or career options. Plus, you are at Cambridge, so you have some of the best libraries and resources. You might not get that if you stayed at home. University is also an experience, not just study. It does open doors for you, give you a lot of opportunities and meet lots of people. Do you have any positive feelings about studying where you are now?

You say that your room is freezing and you are ill. Does this have any bearing? If you have problems with your room, go to the people in charge of accommodation and tell them to fix it. After all you are paying for it.
    it definitely isn't helping. I called to ask who I speak to about the heating being on for more hours (currently only on for a couple of hours morning and night) and apparently the bursar makes the decision, gradually lengthening the time it's on as winter progresses. I have pins and needles in my fingers though and I'm generally a warm person.

I'm not blown away by the resources here. I love the city and have met some nice people (although only to talk to over meals as of yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unhappyme)
    it definitely isn't helping. I called to ask who I speak to about the heating being on for more hours (currently only on for a couple of hours morning and night) and apparently the bursar makes the decision, gradually lengthening the time it's on as winter progresses. I have pins and needles in my fingers though and I'm generally a warm person.

I'm not blown away by the resources here. I love the city and have met some nice people (although only to talk to over meals as of yet).
    Are you a fresher? If so, give it a bit more time! You presumably haven't had any supervisions yet, and those are the special part of the academic part of Cambridge. You also presumably haven't had time to get involved in much non-academic stuff yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unhappyme)

That sucks! Are you allowed a portable heater? Wrap up warm!

What are the societies like? Have you joined many?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.