username2920378
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hey guys so far I got KCL,KCL and QMUL. idk which unis to pick. My grades and ukcat are good.
redhelen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where else did you visit and where did you like?
username2920378
Rep:
?
(Original post by redhelen)
Where else did you visit and where did you like?

nowhere tbh i just want the third and fourth best after qm and kcl.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rameow)
nowhere tbh i just want the third and fourth best after qm and kcl.
This is a bad way to choose your university applications.

For starters, there are about 2000 other unimaginative applicants doing just this, inflating the applications for those "best" four and thus reducing all of your chances of actually winning a place.

Secondly, arbitrary notions of academic superiority are especially pointless in dentistry (and medicine and vet med) unless you're intending to pursue a career in academia (which especially for dentistry is unusual and much rarer than the other two). Choosing the university that is located somewhere you can stand living in (and around, for placements in the last 2-3 years) for 5 or 6 years of your life is a much better idea. Particularly as if you hate where you live it will affect your studies, and if you do want to pursue some unusual academic and competitive area then your ranking will be more important than where you studied in the first instance.

Finally different dental schools have different styles and methods of teaching and one or another may be more appropriate for you. Doing the bare minimum of research into this isn't a great reach for a dental applicant. This, as above, will affect your academic career there, and how well you do within it.

I would suggest, if it's financially feasible, visiting some of the campuses you may apply to. If that's not possible (or even if it is) I would suggest you carefully consider the information available on their websites on how the course is taught, where placements are, what the accommodation facilities are and how long you will live in them (can you stay in university accommodation for the entire course, or will you be expected to move into private student accommodation with a group of friends in second/third year - also how they arrange accommodation for placements, if applicable).
username2920378
Rep:
?
tbh i dont wanna leave london, so my only two options are qm and kcl. I appreciate the advice but i prioritise rankings more than anything else, i still get triggered bc oxbridge dont offer dentistry. but you are right so i will research the unis and what they offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (77)
63.64%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.36%

Watched Threads