Can I take the legacy A-Level Math in 2018 and the new FM in 2019?

Watch this thread
IQuitTSR
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is for the edexcel exam board.

I absolutely hate statistics but math is my favorite subject so I wondered if I could do that.

I have already completed C1-C3. I am taking a calculus-based physics course that should cover all the mechanics in the new FM so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would most likely take pure math only for FM (maybe I would do Decision math too as an extra module (content on syllabus looks interesting)...)
IQuitTSR
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
I missed A* by 1 mark in IGCSE math because of statistics and probability .
Got an A in IGCSE Additional math so statistics definitely killed my grade.
gdunne42
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheTroll73)
This is for the edexcel exam board.

I absolutely hate statistics but math is my favorite subject so I wondered if I could do that.

I have already completed C1-C3. I am taking a calculus-based physics course that should cover all the mechanics in the new FM so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would most likely take pure math only for FM (maybe I would do Decision math too as an extra module (content on syllabus looks interesting)...)
Yes you can. I confirmed this with AQA, Edexcel and OCR earlier this year. Whether a school will allow it is a different question, though you could always do it as a private candidate. However, Edexcel did point out that if you take this approach you will inevitably miss studying some maths content in the new maths specification that is assumed knowledge in the new further maths.
IQuitTSR
Rep:
Thank you for your response . I will then take this approach.

Since I plan to not take any statistics in neither specifications, that content would not be a problem.
As for pure math and mechanics content, it seems I will have to make sure I cover the content in both specifications before moving on to further math (which is no problem for me).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (147)
41.88%
Not yet, but I will soon (64)
18.23%
No (140)
39.89%

Watched Threads