Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've only started University this week (currently studying BA Media and Communications) but a financial situation has come up. My sister has no-one to watch over her son and the local nurseries are charging high prices which we cannot simply afford. I had previously watched over my nephew this past year before I had started studying again. If I watch my nephew it could financially help my sister because she is also studying and she needs a carer.

If I were to drop out to take that responsibility, would I still have enough funding for an undergraduate course? I had previously dropped out of university in 2015, leaving the course after 2 months.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxet)
    I've only started University this week (currently studying BA Media and Communications) but a financial situation has come up. My sister has no-one to watch over her son and the local nurseries are charging high prices which we cannot simply afford. I had previously watched over my nephew this past year before I had started studying again. If I watch my nephew it could financially help my sister because she is also studying and she needs a carer.

If I were to drop out to take that responsibility, would I still have enough funding for an undergraduate course? I had previously dropped out of university in 2015, leaving the course after 2 months.

Hi jxet,

If you withdraw from this course and already have another year of previous study that you did not complete, on the information you have provided, that will give you a total of two years previous study when you apply again in the future.

The way we calculate your future support is we look at the length of your new course and we add an additional year.

From this total we then minus the two years previous study.

Year one you will receive a maintenance loan only unless you can provide evidence of extenuating circumstances, also known as their Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR)

If you could not complete any of your previous academic years due to CPR, once you apply send evidence on headed paper written by a professional person who was aware of the situation, explaining the reason, what happened, when it happened and how it affected your studies or reason withdrew.

Send the evidence with a cover letter and customer reference number, this will be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor. If accepted this would mean an additional year of support will be awarded and you would have full support for the length of your new course.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    In terms of tuition fees, will I be awarded back a year and so would have 3 years worth of funding/financing for tuition fees?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxet)
    In terms of tuition fees, will I be awarded back a year and so would have 3 years worth of funding/financing for tuition fees?
    Hi jxet,

That is correct you will be awarded an extra year of fees, if CPR evidence is accepted.

Thanks Katie
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxet)

SFE can't comment on whether CPR would be granted until you have applied. They will just tell you how to apply, and not your chances of success.

But based on what you have posted, it does not sound like this would be an adequate reason. It's a situation that would have been known in advance, and it's not relating to your own child.

You have posted that your sister "needs a carer", and if this is related to her health (rather than just childcare) it's possible that you could use this as a reason - but she would need a recent worsening in health that has led to a change in circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    She is currently pregnant again, the baby is due around April so right now she isn't in any kind of condition or predicament yet. I was wondering is if you want to apply for a CPR, it only relates to health issues only?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxet)
    She is currently pregnant again, the baby is due around April so right now she isn't in any kind of condition or predicament yet. I was wondering is if you want to apply for a CPR, it only relates to health issues only?
    CPR isn't only for health issues, but it has to be something that shows that you were unable to continue studying. And from what you've said, it's really not guaranteed SFE will grant additional funding under CPR.You would be in a much better situation if you could finish the year and suspend your degree if necessary. Circumstances requiring CPR are things that generally just happen, rather than being something you plan to get.

If you think she'll need extra help in April, then you've got several months to plan how to make that happen. Speak to your uni to see if you can hand in work earlier, or rearrange your modules so that you take less in the summer term. Get a part time job and save money so that you can pay for childcare if necessary. See what options your uni has for childcare - many will have a nearby creche or nursery that will provide care whilst you're attending lectures. See if other family or friends would be willing to help out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.