Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling quite overwhelmed after first week of Uni! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

This past week has been my first week at university. There is so much to read - So many books and articles etc. I am already feeling behind! Panicking a bit. Need a bit of help please.

When they ask us to read books - What exactly are they asking us to do with that info? Make notes?
    What is the best way of recording lecture information?

Does anyone have any advice for me?

ReputationRep:
    Lectures - most of the presentation slides will be online for you to look at, so don't worry about noting everything down. You could make notes on interesting things that your lecturer says that aren't on the slides.

Reading - you may have a recommended reading list. I wouldn't worry about reading everything. Just pick a few titles of the list and make notes on interesting concepts and quotes you come across. Perhaps a section inspires a thought or argument from yourself. Or you could link it to another writer you read? It may be that there is only a relevant chapter or two, so you don't have to read the entire book.

ReputationRep:
    What course are you studying

Remain calm, it's only week one. Reading material is often provided to supplement upcoming lectures (and definitely seminars), so it is important to read any articles/chapters that your lecturer asks. Not only does it provide you with a wealth of knowledge, they are normally useful for assignments and exams as well. It may feel intimidating at the moment, however, it can be done, you just need to manage your time well. Even if you cannot thoroughly read the material, just give it a quick skim for the key points. There's no one way suits all approach when recording lecture notes, I found it best to just write notes and print off the lecture slides, and revisit them whenever necessary. University is as tough as you make it to be honest, there will be difficult times, but try your best to overcome them. I remember in my final year, I barely had any lectures in my final year. However, I always found myself in the campus library doing independent research, reading and assignments, often till the early hours of the morning and lots of caffeine.

It's a struggle, but when have you ever achieved greatness without hard work?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of what you are feeling will be information overload and the 'stress' of change.

The style of learning at uni is totally different from even A-level and there is far more self guidance needed. Prioritise assignments etc but a good system for lecture notes etc will save mad cramming nearer exams (although this works for some.)

If this is first year and you are living out in Halls all of this of course with the whole making new friends and partying, many people experience the partying and going out most of first year, it will calm a bit after Freshers though! While you are primarily at Uni to get a degree, the first year if living out is the time for making friends and partying, while the better you do academically in first year makes subsequent years easier, some take the attitude of just ensuring they 'pass' first year as it doesnt (in most institutions) count to the rest of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    What course are you studying

Remain calm, it's only week one. Reading material is often provided to supplement upcoming lectures (and definitely seminars), so it is important to read any articles/chapters that your lecturer asks. Not only does it provide you with a wealth of knowledge, they are normally useful for assignments and exams as well. It may feel intimidating at the moment, however, it can be done, you just need to manage your time well. Even if you cannot thoroughly read the material, just give it a quick skim for the key points. There's no one way suits all approach when recording lecture notes, I found it best to just write notes and print off the lecture slides, and revisit them whenever necessary. University is as tough as you make it to be honest, there will be difficult times, but try your best to overcome them. I remember in my final year, I barely had any lectures in my final year. However, I always found myself in the campus library doing independent research, reading and assignments, often till the early hours of the morning and lots of caffeine.

It's a struggle, but when have you ever achieved greatness without hard work?
    Thank you for your help - Very logical & rational way of explaining things 🙏

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.