Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study architecture but I am afraid that i would end up jobless in the future.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koyla)
    I want to study architecture but I am afraid that i would end up jobless in the future.
    Employment rates for architects and architectural assistants are very high. You're unlikely to end up jobless.

There are some issues with architects not finding that the career is for them or that the work or opportunities for progression aren't as good as they expected.

Your best bet is to get in touch with some local architects and talk to them (and any assistants/trainees) about their work and their careers.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be jobless. But you'll be badly treated, underpaid and overworked.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koyla)
    Hello koyla,

It''s great that you are considering the field of architecture for your future, albeit there undoubtedly is a degree of apprehension in your post.

The construction and architecture market is, of course, fluctuating due to needs for new built projects and available funds by public and private clients. However, at Ravensbourne you will be taught how to pursue projects beyond the discipline of architecture and practice design skills that would let you pitch your own ideas, set up your own practice, and go about freelancing in different contexts. The curriculum will encourage students to work directly with clients and industry partners so that they are already building a close and strong relationship with a future employer whilst a student - making it easier for students to find employment after graduation based on industry contacts, wide and mixed variety of project portfolio, and the confidence to go beyond the boundaries of the discipline if need be.

While I can't guarantee you anything when it comes to your studies, I can certainly assure you that if choosing to study architecture, you would be choosing an exciting subject and an engaging career.

I hope that this helps!

Monica

ReputationRep:
    As a current masters student of architecture I can assure you that you would get a job. I do find how ever that what you learn and go through in uni is not the same as what happens in a real firm. It would be best to visit an architectural firm and see as to whether you think you would find that sort of job enjoyable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.