Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been searching for apprenticeships all year but the agencies, once they have my details, just don’t get back in touch and I don’t understand why. I’ll chase them up and I feel like I shouldn’t have to, but it’s always ‘oh the person you need is out of office’ etc. I’m 21 and I feel like I’m running out of time as the older I get, the less employers may want me as an apprentice. University is not for me and I can’t go back to part time retail work, I need an apprenticeship to begin a career. A few of my friends did apprenticeships when they left sixth form and are still with those companies now. However, they did business admin and I’m looking to do digital marketing. The vacancies I apply for in Liverpool, I just never hear back from or an agency gets in touch, obtains my details and I never hear from them again.

I just feel really disheartened and don’t know what to do, I suffer with depression and anxiety which is why it’s hitting me harder than it probably should if anybody knows of decent websites to get an apprenticeship please let me know, although I’ve probably used most of them anyway

ReputationRep:
    Please don't get down and be dispirited. So many people have had failure after failure, but they stayed the course, kept on getting up, and had the breakthrough and success they NEVER would have had, if they had lost faith/given up.

If I may, may I make a suggestion? Can you consider re-evaluating your resume/c.v. or other credentials you are presenting? What I mean, try to have it re-read and consider making some changes to it based upon recommendations, and if you can, perhaps consider paying a small fee to get some professional guidance with a good c.v., not saying yours is not good, just saying perhaps a few brush-ups and touch-ups on it could make the difference. Please keep on striving, and don't give up!

(Original post by Ellalockhart)
    I’ve been searching for apprenticeships all year but the agencies, once they have my details, just don’t get back in touch and I don’t understand why. I’ll chase them up and I feel like I shouldn’t have to, but it’s always ‘oh the person you need is out of office’ etc. I’m 21 and I feel like I’m running out of time as the older I get, the less employers may want me as an apprentice. University is not for me and I can’t go back to part time retail work, I need an apprenticeship to begin a career. A few of my friends did apprenticeships when they left sixth form and are still with those companies now. However, they did business admin and I’m looking to do digital marketing. The vacancies I apply for in Liverpool, I just never hear back from or an agency gets in touch, obtains my details and I never hear from them again.

I just feel really disheartened and don’t know what to do, I suffer with depression and anxiety which is why it’s hitting me harder than it probably should if anybody knows of decent websites to get an apprenticeship please let me know, although I’ve probably used most of them anyway
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellalockhart)

Hi there,

My first piece of advice would do not give up. Apprenticeships are becoming more and more competitive, I know a few apprentices who applied to over 7 companies with the one acceptance. It can be hard but worth it!

Don't worry about your age, there is no age limit when becoming an apprentice, you can become an apprentice at 46 if you wanted to, so dont be disheartened.

Now is the time that the large apprentice employers are opening their vancancies. (September- January) so now is the 'prime time' to be looking! I would suggest looking directly on companies career pages to see when/if they hire apprentices and then use this link below to search for live vacancies.

https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch
    This link leads to a vacancy search site where you can filter your results to your preferences, location and level etc.

Hope this helps, good luck applying
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm 27 and just started my degree apprenteship so don't let your age stop you! There are 4 or 5 people on my program older than you. I applied for apprenteships for a few years without getting many replies. The only advice I would give is to chase them up as it shows that you are eager and it means you can get advise on why you weren't successful if that's the case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.