Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

confusing due to not living with parents Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hello! im 19 and i am looking to start uni in sept 2018,i dont live with my mum and step dad,i live with my boyfriends parents and have done for the past year and a few months,would my student finance be under their wage or my mums and step dads? and if it does come under my mum and step dads,even though they are married would he still count?he hasnt signed anything offically to be my legal guardian.

thankyou :-)
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lkaytay)
    hello! im 19 and i am looking to start uni in sept 2018,i dont live with my mum and step dad,i live with my boyfriends parents and have done for the past year and a few months,would my student finance be under their wage or my mums and step dads? and if it does come under my mum and step dads,even though they are married would he still count?he hasnt signed anything offically to be my legal guardian.

thankyou :-)

Hi lkaytay,

If you are under 25 years old, don't have a child and not irreconcilably estranged from your parents then you would still be classed as dependant.

Even if you are not living with them, in order for you to be assessed for the higher amount of loan, we need them to support your application by providing their household income.

If your biological parents are no longer together, we would ask you to provide the financial information of parent you would want to support your application and that of their partner.

The only other way you can be classed as under 25 and independent is if you can provide evidence required showing you have supported yourself financially for 36 months prior to the start of your course) - the 3 years self support does not need to be consecutive years.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.