Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it necessary to include the fact that my interest in law began relatively recently in my personal statement? or is it quite a negative thing?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its a negative thing at all in my opinion. We are but a sum of our experiences, of our journey in life-and by journey, we have experiences and inspirations that come to us, they build upon the past and show us something new, perhaps, for the future. The law is broad, there is corporate law, tax law, criminal law, real estate law, copyright and trademark (and patent) law, international law, banking and finance law-there are so many areas of law that potentially touch upon and build upon previous interests you had, there is no way you can go wrong with only having recently decided upon the law as your interest-just explain how you came to have the interest.

(Original post by amourx)
    is it necessary to include the fact that my interest in law began relatively recently in my personal statement? or is it quite a negative thing?

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks! but would smth like this come across as a negative thing: During the last year I came to the realisation that I wanted to pursue a more academically stimulating degree. or would it be better to say: despite choosing to pursue law relatively recently...
    (Original post by luq_ali)
    I don't think its a negative thing at all in my opinion. We are but a sum of our experiences, of our journey in life-and by journey, we have experiences and inspirations that come to us, they build upon the past and show us something new, perhaps, for the future. The law is broad, there is corporate law, tax law, criminal law, real estate law, copyright and trademark (and patent) law, international law, banking and finance law-there are so many areas of law that potentially touch upon and build upon previous interests you had, there is no way you can go wrong with only having recently decided upon the law as your interest-just explain how you came to have the interest.

ReputationRep:
    Either one would be fine, and a word of warning. Don't make this out to be too hard, difficult, or some big thing. i'm not saying its not important, but when we start to overthink and over analyze, that can make for bad writing, where it is clear to the reader, you are struggling with something, not confident in what you are saying, etc. Try to keep it straight forward, state your interests, make your personal statement just that-personal. It doesn't need to be a award winning type presentation of yourself-in terms of the level of writing being on a literary prize level. Rather, it needs to represent your words, your thinking, and your motivations, and the simpler you keep it, the less your overthink it, the more convincing and sincere, in my view, it will come across.

(Original post by amourx)
    ok thanks! but would smth like this come across as a negative thing: During the last year I came to the realisation that I wanted to pursue a more academically stimulating degree. or would it be better to say: despite choosing to pursue law relatively recently...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.