Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    I am applying to study medicine this year but I know it is extremely competitive so am looking at other options as well. I like the idea of pharmacy as it is science and people based, but having searched on tsr there are many negative posts saying jobs market is over saturated and it is badly paid etc. However, after doing a search on google, I found lots of pharmacist jobs listed on the NHS website, and graduate employment at lots of unis is good.
    Why are people saying its a bad career? I feel I may have missed something! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's nowhere near as good as it's touted to be. If you really like science and enjoy it then do it by all means.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Jobs listed =/= job availability, sadly.

In the area of coat varnishing (field I just made up), I have 25 jobs, but only 8 applicants. Therefore, job prospects in varnishing coats are very good.

In the area of teapot making however, I have 250 jobs. Does this mean that teapot making provides a better job market?

Yes, if there are 80 applicants, however, if there are 8000 applicants for those jobs, then no. The issue Pharmacy faces is that graduates are being churned out at a rate higher than roles are popping up to employ them, hence the job shortage worries. People don't think that there are absolutely no jobs out there, just that the average number of applicants per job listing is rising.

Also, I would be careful about Uni employed statistics. Are they statistics *specifically* about finding Pharmacy-relevant employment, or just employment in general? If someone winds up stocking shelves at Tesco, then do they count to that figure? Also, I'm pretty sure most Unis count getting a pre-registration placements as getting a job, but getting a pre-reg =/= a succesful, happy and fulfilling career in Pharmacy. I say that as someone who no doubt contributed to her Unis great employment rates due to her pre-reg, but hasn't had much to do with Pharmacy since then.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    "For pre-registration student Zohib Sheikh, the announcement of the funding cuts was just one of a long train of events that have slowly persuaded him against working in the sector. “It’s a never-ending cycle. There’s never any positive news in pharmacy,” he says.

Mr Sheikh describes the low wages he sees advertised for jobs as a “kick in the face” after spending so much time training to be a pharmacist. He explains that he doesn’t see becoming a locum as a viable career option because of the lack of regular work resulting from an “oversaturated” market.
    Instead, he is now considering a move into the financial sector, which he believes will be able to offer him greater career progression and better working hours.

He acknowledges that taking the decision to leave pharmacy was a difficult one for him because, after five years of studying, he has already “sunk a lot of time and effort” into the profession. But speaking to several experienced pharmacists about whether he should stay did nothing to change his mind. “Not a single pharmacist told me to stick it out [and] ride the storm,” he says.

But despite “not seeing light at the end of the tunnel”, Mr Sheikh stresses that his decision to leave pharmacy is not “set in stone”. He will still take his registration exam later this year, so that he can fall back on his pharmacy qualification if he needs to in the future. “If the working environment changes, [pharmacy is] definitely something I’d consider coming back to,” he says.

“I’m happy doing what I’m doing [in pharmacy], but if there’s no reward at the end of it, then maybe it’s not for me.”

Not one pre reg i spoke to in the past year actually enjoyed the process, yeah sure they might be happy that they passed the pre reg exam today but even though this profession is heading to the dumps, they dont have the courage to abandon this sinking ship. because THEY DONT BELIEVE IN THEMSELVES!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effy1001)
    Hi there
    I am applying to study medicine this year but I know it is extremely competitive so am looking at other options as well. I like the idea of pharmacy as it is science and people based, but having searched on tsr there are many negative posts saying jobs market is over saturated and it is badly paid etc. However, after doing a search on google, I found lots of pharmacist jobs listed on the NHS website, and graduate employment at lots of unis is good.
    Why are people saying its a bad career? I feel I may have missed something! Thank you!
    You need to read the thread 'poor pharmacist career prospects' the guy here explains it all so well
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3930485

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.