Turn on thread page Beta

Stanford Applicants 2018! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I really want to get into the Science, Technology, and Society program offered at Stanford.
    However, I'm not sure if 6A*s, 2As and 1B at IGCSE is good enough. I've currently started my A levels and hope to get straight A/A*s
    Do SATs matter more than these?
    I also do the Duke of Edinburgh award and other extra curriculars!
    Please share any advice possible!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3545774)
    Hi everyone! I really want to get into the Science, Technology, and Society program offered at Stanford.
    However, I'm not sure if 6A*s, 2As and 1B at IGCSE is good enough. I've currently started my A levels and hope to get straight A/A*s
    Do SATs matter more than these?
    I also do the Duke of Edinburgh award and other extracurriculars!
    Please share any advice possible!
    Thanks
    Hey there! I'd be happy to help. I got admitted to Columbia Uni with full financial aid under a scholarship that put me in the top 10% of the incoming class. Can't waittt

If I'm honest 6A*s is kinda weak for unis like stanford. If you're top 10 in the country in a sport, you have a much better chance of getting in thru recruitment, with those grades. Stanford admits usually have 9A*+, plus A*A*A*A, plus the most jaw-dropping extra-curricular activities. Really have a look at less competitive unis (stanny is literally THE most competitive in the country) which are equally excellent, and lots of liberal arts colleges. If your A levels are along the lines of A*A*A, then you have a better chance of getting into a top 40 uni in the US.

You don't apply to STS, you apply to Stanford, and only declare STS at the end of your second year. You can indicate that it's your potential major, though.
    SATs matter a lot less than grades (esp. for international students), and people forget that. Focus on your grades - the standardised test is secondary. You spend 2yrs on grades, and 3+ months on the test, which can be re-sat every 3 months or so.

DofE is a kinda weak EC by virtue of SO many UK students putting it on your application. It's seen as a bit of a weak EC because it's one that is so available to them - one that you don't have to go out of your way to find and participate in. Top 20 unis in the US (inc. Stanford) want people who are passionate, take initiative, and commit to things.

People like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos weren't people who did things that other people did. They were amazing, rare characters that were trailblazers in their fields - they have passions, and took them to the max, and that's why they got admitted. That's what YOU need to do to be admitted.

So STOP doing anything that you're not passionate because you're wasting your time and energy on things that won't help you or anyone else. Focus on things that will either help you, other other people, improve or grow in a certain way. Just. Effect. Change. That's crucially important.

Hope that helped!! Ask as many questions as you may have! I'm happy to answer.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.