Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I am a first year psychology student and I've just been given my first assignment. The thing is, I have no idea how to format it!!
    My essay question is: "Do brain training games work?"

I have been given a core article to use and I am meant to find other academic articles to use.

I have no idea how to write this as the only way I know how to write essays is the way we were taught in A-Level psychology (point, study, evaluate study and link to point). However, I don't know if that's the way youre meant to write a university-style essay especially since I've heard many people say to "throw away the essay-writing skills you learnt at A-Level because they will not help you".

Anyways, I just want some help on how to structure my essay and how to actually write the main body of my essay (am I just meant to write about the core article and evaluate it with supporting/disproving evidence from other studies? or am I meant to base the essay on my own knowledge as in PEEL - make a point, use the core article to support it, evaluate it with criticism of the core article and other studies I have found).

I'm so sorry if this is difficult to read, ive just been panicking like crazy this whole week but I'm really hoping someone can help me.

Thank you!!

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starmilk)
    So, I am a first year psychology student and I've just been given my first assignment. The thing is, I have no idea how to format it!!
    My essay question is: "Do brain training games work?"

I have been given a core article to use and I am meant to find other academic articles to use.

I have no idea how to write this as the only way I know how to write essays is the way we were taught in A-Level psychology (point, study, evaluate study and link to point). However, I don't know if that's the way youre meant to write a university-style essay especially since I've heard many people say to "throw away the essay-writing skills you learnt at A-Level because they will not help you".

Anyways, I just want some help on how to structure my essay and how to actually write the main body of my essay (am I just meant to write about the core article and evaluate it with supporting/disproving evidence from other studies? or am I meant to base the essay on my own knowledge as in PEEL - make a point, use the core article to support it, evaluate it with criticism of the core article and other studies I have found).

I'm so sorry if this is difficult to read, ive just been panicking like crazy this whole week but I'm really hoping someone can help me.

Thank you!!

Thank you!!
    Usually for first year undergrads you will have a tutorial about essay writing skills or access to the student learning service.

Check your timetable for the former and if not then enquire about the latter.

ReputationRep:
    The writing is obviously different. In the current essay, you must include a thesis statement and justify the thesis statement throughout the essay with each paragraph having a topic statement, evidence and inference. The thesis statement comes at the end of the introductory paragraph and summarizes the main argument of the essay

ReputationRep:
    Intro-
    Provide a brief summary of the topic at hand. Follow with a thesis statement which is made of:
    1)What the essay will discuss (address the question)
    2)Which main points your essay will discuss in its body

Main body-
    Each of your points with supporting evidence where necessary. Appropriate signalling and citations. Each part of the body must usually only discuss one point so as not to get things muddled. Structure your paragraphs accordingly.

Conclusion-
    address the thesis statement, summarise all main points and recommend ideas for future prospects etc based on the topic.

N.B: Some universities provide a writing and format session. Certain modules will give you criteria they mark with, use that if you've got it to formulate your essay. If not, a piece of writing that is engaging in its argument but structured according to word count and points should do well. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.