Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm in an illustration course, in my second year. My original campus closed down due to funding, and we've been moved to the college campus. As you can imagine, this has caused utter chaos for me and my peers. We've been moved into a studio which is so small, its 6 times smaller than the studio we had in our original campus. And where we had three days of studio time, we now only have 2 days and we're not allowed in our studio without our tutor present... So I missed one-day last week, as I needed to receive a package from the union in regards to my residence. And I have a lot of doctors appointments coming up that are vital for me to attend. Not to mention that I have only been given 3,400 for maintenance despite being estranged from my parents, I need to look for at least 2 jobs to support myself and my rent, my Tutor doesn't understand this and expects me in. So I came into class yesterday and was taken out of class and threatened with expulsion. I was obviously devastated, as I consider myself a mature student and I never imagined being threatened with an expulsion of all things, but that's whats happened. Can she even threaten me with that? As a university student, now 20 years old, paying for myself and my course, I don't feel like I'm being treated like an adult, am I perhaps being too overdramatic? Please, can someone give me guidance, as I can't avoid missing days, but I never miss a deadline or hand in unfinished work.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by AmaliaCioffi1997)
    Okay, so I'm in an illustration course, in my second year. My original campus closed down due to funding, and we've been moved to the college campus. As you can imagine, this has caused utter chaos for me and my peers. We've been moved into a studio which is so small, its 6 times smaller than the studio we had in our original campus. And where we had three days of studio time, we now only have 2 days and we're not allowed in our studio without our tutor present... So I missed one-day last week, as I needed to receive a package from the union in regards to my residence. And I have a lot of doctors appointments coming up that are vital for me to attend. Not to mention that I have only been given 3,400 for maintenance despite being estranged from my parents, I need to look for at least 2 jobs to support myself and my rent, my Tutor doesn't understand this and expects me in. So I came into class yesterday and was taken out of class and threatened with expulsion. I was obviously devastated, as I consider myself a mature student and I never imagined being threatened with an expulsion of all things, but that's whats happened. Can she even threaten me with that? As a university student, now 20 years old, paying for myself and my course, I don't feel like I'm being treated like an adult, am I perhaps being too overdramatic? Please, can someone give me guidance, as I can't avoid missing days, but I never miss a deadline or hand in unfinished work.
    Go and see your GP and et a medical note if you have stress or depression.
    Go and see student welfare after that and they can talk to your department.

You can talk about estranged here and see if you can satisfy SFE.

http://standalone.org.uk/contact/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Go and see your GP and et a medical note if you have stress or depression.
    Go and see student welfare after that and they can talk to your department.

You can talk about estranged here and see if you can satisfy SFE.

http://standalone.org.uk/contact/
    Hi there!! Unfortunately, doctors don't hand out medical notes anymore, where I am.
    As for student welfare, it's a slow process which I am undertaking, I am hoping that I and my peers can get them to make some changes to at least make the next year bearable.
    I'm estranged from my father, but am still in contact with my mother. SFE based my amount of the total household income of my mother and her partner, and although my mother earns scraps, her partner is quite well off. However, he doesn't give me any money(and I don't expect him to as I have quite a testy relationship with him). Because of this high household income, student finance won't raise my amount, no matter what I say or what evidence I provide. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as you can imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!! Unfortunately, doctors don't hand out medical notes anymore, where I am.
    As for student welfare, it's a slow process which I am undertaking, I am hoping that I and my peers can get them to make some changes to at least make the next year bearable.
    I'm estranged from my father, but am still in contact with my mother. SFE based my amount of the total household income of my mother and her partner, and although my mother earns scraps, her partner is quite well off. However, he doesn't give me any money(and I don't expect him to as I have quite a testy relationship with him). Because of this high household income, student finance won't raise my amount, no matter what I say or what evidence I provide. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as you can imagine.
    Do you live with your mother? If not I can't see how you get that amount. You would have needed to tell student finance your situation otherwise and that you would not receive money from your mum's current partner if that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Do you live with your mother? If not I can't see how you get that amount. You would have needed to tell student finance your situation otherwise and that you would not receive money from your mum's current partner if that's the case.
    So you can imagine my confusion then! I live alone, my mother resides in Scotland, I'm in Doncaster currently, the distance is massive so I only see her three to four times a year. Student Finance is well aware of my situation and has said that because my mom lives with her partner, his income is automatically taken into consideration, despite the fact that he has no ties to me and has never given me a single penny in the time I have known him. I have asked that he not be considered, but student finance has stated that unless my mom moves out of his house, then they will continue to look at his income and the household income as a whole, regardless of the fact that my mom earns under the minimum amount and can't give me much support because she has to care for my baby sister.

ReputationRep:
    So you can imagine my confusion then! I live alone, my mother resides in Scotland, I'm in Doncaster currently, the distance is massive so I only see her three to four times a year. Student Finance is well aware of my situation and has said that because my mom lives with her partner, his income is automatically taken into consideration, despite the fact that he has no ties to me and has never given me a single penny in the time I have known him. I have asked that he not be considered, but student finance has stated that unless my mom moves out of his house, then they will continue to look at his income and the household income as a whole, regardless of the fact that my mom earns under the minimum amount and can't give me much support because she has to care for my baby sister.
    Hmm that's unfortunate that student finance is not there to help you further. You have a variety of options remaining as I see it:

1. Talk to your mum about your situation, how you need more money and that this is affecting you that you are on the point of failing.

2. Talk to your university urgently. Update them that financial and health reasons are meaning that you are on the point of failing the course. You may have to take a year out but this is better than being expelled.

3. Talk to your MP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Hmm that's unfortunate that student finance is not there to help you further. You have a variety of options remaining as I see it:

1. Talk to your mum about your situation, how you need more money and that this is affecting you that you are on the point of failing.

2. Talk to your university urgently. Update them that financial and health reasons are meaning that you are on the point of failing the course. You may have to take a year out but this is better than being expelled.

3. Talk to your MP
    Hi there, thanks for the response,
    - Talking to my Mom is definitely out, she barely has enough to support herself and my sister. She tries to give me £40 a month, but even that puts her on a tight leash.
    - As for taking a gap year, as simple as it sounds, you still need money to do so. And I really don't see why I as a student, shouldn't be able to work and support myself, whilst studying. It's not as if I'm failing, I meet all my deadlines and am in when I don't work, is there not a legal right for me to be absent from studio if my work requires me to be present. I really feel like my teacher threatening expulsion is beyond the pale, and to have to take a gap year and put my studies on hold because my university and tutor cannot support me sounds unbelievably wrong.
    - I am making a note to phone my student union in the morning and will make a point to meet with my local mp to see if there is any way I can be helped in this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, thanks for the response,
    - Talking to my Mom is definitely out, she barely has enough to support herself and my sister. She tries to give me £40 a month, but even that puts her on a tight leash.

- As for taking a gap year, as simple as it sounds, you still need money to do so. And I really don't see why I as a student, shouldn't be able to work and support myself, whilst studying. It's not as if I'm failing, I meet all my deadlines and am in when I don't work, is there not a legal right for me to be absent from studio if my work requires me to be present. I really feel like my teacher threatening expulsion is beyond the pale, and to have to take a gap year and put my studies on hold because my university and tutor cannot support me sounds unbelievably wrong.

- I am making a note to phone my student union in the morning and will make a point to meet with my local mp to see if there is any way I can be helped in this matter.
    I can see your predicament but if you don't tell your mom she wont know how serious it is. She might be able to ask her partner to assist or loan you but you'll never know this unless you tell her.

You will be spending the year earning money and getting your health issues sorted out. But find out from the uni first if they can assist you another way once you tell them you are on the point of failing.

Excellent, try to meet the relevant uni team in person tomorrow to convey how serious it is for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I can see your predicament but if you don't tell your mom she wont know how serious it is. She might be able to ask her partner to assist or loan you but you'll never know this unless you tell her.

You will be spending the year earning money and getting your health issues sorted out. But find out from the uni first if they can assist you another way once you tell them you are on the point of failing.

Excellent, try to meet the relevant uni team in person tomorrow to convey how serious it is for you.
    I have spoken with my mom in regards to my finances, she's well aware and trying to help where she can, there isn't much else she can do.
    I can only hope the Uni will help.
    Thanks for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.