Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i feel like i have wasted my time at University. Watch

ReputationRep:
    i feel like i have wasted all those years doing and learning the stuff which i know never want to use ...

i did computer science....

60% of the stuff i did i have no interest in and i am never going to use because i wanna do something else in the future now..

also i picked the wrong A levels and they werent for me either , i wish i did something else.

have i wasted 5 years of my life?

I'm doing computer science in college right now and I kind of feel the same, plus it's hard work knowing what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    i feel like i have wasted all those years doing and learning the stuff which i know never want to use ...

i did computer science....

60% of the stuff i did i have no interest in and i am never going to use because i wanna do something else in the future now..

also i picked the wrong A levels and they werent for me either , i wish i did something else.

have i wasted 5 years of my life?
    Can you convert your degree into something else that is more in line with what you want to do?
    What field do you want to be in?

ReputationRep:
    Having a degree shows aptitude and perserverance. I wouldn't let it hinder you - as long as you can apply some of the skills, not necessarily knowledge, you'll be fine. Computer science, I assume, goes into a lot about problem solving and working methodically.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with Computer Science? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    No point moping about what you could have done differently. Lots of people get jobs unrelated to their degrees. What are you going to do next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friffinghell)
    Can you convert your degree into something else that is more in line with what you want to do?
    What field do you want to be in?
    something like a design and creative career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    What's wrong with Computer Science? :hmmmm:
    theres nothing wrong with it, i just feel like it wasnt for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    No point moping about what you could have done differently. Lots of people get jobs unrelated to their degrees. What are you going to do next?
    honestly i have no idea what i am going to do next....

i keep thinking about how i am not going to get my 5 years back and how i have made such wrong choices in life, i cry thinking about it everyday
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same. I did my degree with a specific career in mind but I will never achieve that dream so the whole thing was all for nothing. Now I have a job which isn't what I wanted to end up doing but it helps pay the bills and isn't too demanding but I wish I had studied something else rather than stubbornly aim for something I would never be able to do. Then I may have found a job that interests me more, got a better grade at uni, and also actually enjoyed my time spent there. It was a very expensive pipedream. :sigh:

I'm sorry that I don't really have any advice, I just wanted you to know you're not alone. :console: What are you doing with yourself now you've graduated?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Do you enjoy web design? That's creative, you can get a web design job by showcasing a portfolio of websites you have created and put these onto GitHub.

You could do a masters/postgraduate course in different subject.

Congrats on your degree, a degree can open up doors for you. I know someone who did geography and then went into finance related work. Also another guy who studied marketing and then got a job as a logistics co coordinator and he's progressed onto management now.

Good luck
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you weren't interested in 60% of it, why on earth did you do it?

ReputationRep:
    lol @ computer science being a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    I know quite a few people with degrees in computer science who work for digital illustration businesses. Have a good think about whether you have the skills necessary.

ReputationRep:
    You can always do some sort of conversion course. More to the point the skills you’ve learned through a computer science degree are invaluable in the digital age. Chill and seek advice from your careers service. Alumni usually have the benefit of careers service upon graduation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    honestly i have no idea what i am going to do next....

i keep thinking about how i am not going to get my 5 years back and how i have made such wrong choices in life, i cry thinking about it everyday
    So, it's been almost 2 weeks since this thread was created. OP - what have you been doing to figure out your options?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.