Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was wondering is it harder to get into a MEng course then it is to get into a BEng course? Im asking particularly for Electrical Engineering if that makes a difference. Universities im applying to include Imperial, UCL and Southampton.
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the requirements on their websites?

ReputationRep:
    MEng's mostly do either have higher requirements or lower acceptance rates. Mainly because you'll be learning to a slightly higher level in specific areas, than those with a BEng and it's cheaper to integrate. But it depends on what you want to do, people often say a MEng is better for research while a BEng for industry, obviously this is debatable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Have you looked at the requirements on their websites?
    Their requirements are the same on Imperials website. Have Not compared for others. Even though requirements are the same, as is their claimed to be acceptance ratio, I still feel like MEng should be harder to get into
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Normally the entry criteria are slightly (one grade, typically) higher, but they will often make an offer for the BEng if you miss the MEng offer.

Once you begin the course, provided you meet the relevant progression criteria it's normally a simple matter of departmental administration (and a little extra with SFE, as they're difficult about such matters) to switch between them. Typically anyone on the BEng who meet the MEng criteria are automatically streamed into the MEng, and anyone on the MEng who does not meet the criteria will automatically be switched to the BEng.

In terms of course content normally they're identical other than requiring a slightly higher minimum pass rate (usually 55%), up until third year, and then there are some slight differences in the project/dissertation/thesis (specifically it has a slightly different markig rubric usually). Then of course they will continue on to the fourth and final year.

The format is normally the same across engineering disciplines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Normally the entry criteria are slightly (one grade, typically) higher, but they will often make an offer for the BEng if you miss the MEng offer.

Once you begin the course, provided you meet the relevant progression criteria it's normally a simple matter of departmental administration (and a little extra with SFE, as they're difficult about such matters) to switch between them. Typically anyone on the BEng who meet the MEng criteria are automatically streamed into the MEng, and anyone on the MEng who does not meet the criteria will automatically be switched to the BEng.

In terms of course content normally they're identical other than requiring a slightly higher minimum pass rate (usually 55%), up until third year, and then there are some slight differences in the project/dissertation/thesis (specifically it has a slightly different markig rubric usually). Then of course they will continue on to the fourth and final year.

The format is normally the same across engineering disciplines.
    Thanks!
    that helps a lot
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    yes for example, Nottingham and Swansea is AAB for Beng, AAA for Meng. you get offers for both if you apply for Meng
    though a lot of university i've looked at, it's same for beng and meng.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    yes for example, Nottingham and Swansea is AAB for Beng, AAA for Meng. you get offers for both if you apply for Meng
    though a lot of university i've looked at, it's same for beng and meng.
    Where are you looking to go to?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Where are you looking to go to?
    bristol, cardiff, nottingham, southampton, swansea. i got the beng meng offer from nottingham.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    bristol, cardiff, nottingham, southampton, swansea. i got the beng meng offer from nottingham.
    Nice, I applied to southampton and swansea myself, looked at nottingham but the placement year wasn't looking great at the time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nice, I applied to southampton and swansea myself, looked at nottingham but the placement year wasn't looking great at the time.
    what do you mean? tbh nottingham is my last choice, it's too far from where im from

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.