Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'd like to do something accounting/ business/ finance related at univeristy, but the problem is I really don't have much to write about it on my personal statement so it's going to be weak, which won't get me into a good uni ; no experience,and my subjects aren't really heavily maths related either; bio, chem, psych
    There's this 1 year accounting apprenticeship I can apply for, which after I've finished, I can then apply for uni.
    Is this a better idea?

ReputationRep:
    ^ what's better in terms of job prospects?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you do the degree at LSE/Oxbridge/similar, the degree. Otherwise the apprenticeship. Business (by which I mean, any vaguely business/economics related degree) students are a dime a dozen, and unless you go to one of those brand name universities it's exceptionally difficult to stand out from the crowd.

Apprentices often are hired by the company that they did the apprenticeship at, because that company specifically invested their time and money in developing their career with the intent of benefiting from it. Unless you do something particularly egregious they will usually try to find you a position within the company, avoiding a second tier of attrition which graduates have (i.e. first time round, applying for degrees/apprenticeships, and then the grads have to apply for the jobs themselves, whereas an apprentice may well be allowed to continue into a full role internally without a formal application process - this may vary though).

However as indicated, if you're very academically inclined and able to get into such a course as above, you will probably get more long term benefits from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia22)
    ^ what's better in terms of job prospects?
    It really doesn't have to be an either or. You could do an apprenticeship and then go to university with more knowledge about what you want to study (and an interesting CV when you apply for graduate jobs).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.