Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AP Question HELP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The first two terms of an arithmetic progression are 16 and 24. Find the least number of terms of the progression which must be taken for their sum to exceed 20000.
    Sol. I got d = 8 from the given information.
    Then I substitued the values into the Sum formula.
    I got the quadratic eq. n^2+3n-5000=0 (Not sure which sign to use)
    Also I how can I solve the eq. to find n? I tried doing factorizing and using quadratic formula but I couldn't get the answer. Please help me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kundanad)
    The first two terms of an arithmetic progression are 16 and 24. Find the least number of terms of the progression which must be taken for their sum to exceed 20000.
    Sol. I got d = 8 from the given information.
    Then I subsitued the values into the Sum formula.
    I got the quadratic eq. n^2+3n-5000=0 (Not sure which sign to use)
    Also I how can I solve the eq. to find n? I tried doing factorizing and quadratic formula but I couldn't get the answer. Please help me out.
    Let me see if I remember how to do this...

a_1 = 16
     a_2 = 24

d = a_2 - a_1 = 8

Whilst solving this I'm rewording the question so it makes more sense for me. I interpret the question as follows, find the smallest value of n for which the sum of  a_1+a_2+a_3+...+a_n is greater than  20000

\frac{n}{2}(2a_1 + (n-1)d) > 20000
     n(2a_1 + (n-1)d > 40000
     32n + 8n^2 -8n - 40000 > 0
     8n^2 + 24n - 40000 > 0
     n^2 + 3n - 5000 > 0

n = \frac{-3\pm \sqrt{9-4(1)(-5000)}}{2}

If you cannot solve that you need to revisit the earlier chapters and do more questions on it. Don't progress onto a further topic until you've mastered the previous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelpMe??)
    Let me see if I remember how to do this...

a_1 = 16
     a_2 = 24

d = a_2 - a_1 = 8

Whilst solving this I'm rewording the question so it makes more sense for me. I interpret the question as follows, find the smallest value of n for which the sum of  a_1+a_2+a_3+...+a_n is greater than  20000

\frac{n}{2}(2a_1 + (n-1)d) > 20000
     n(2a_1 + (n-1)d > 40000
     32n + 8n^2 -8n - 40000 > 0
     8n^2 + 24n - 40000 > 0
     n^2 + 3n - 5000 > 0

n = \frac{-3\pm \sqrt{9-4(1)(-5000)}}{2}

If you cannot solve that you need to revisit the earlier chapters and do more questions on it. Don't progress onto a further topic until you've mastered the previous
    Oh thats clear. Thank you so much.
    Btw as I checked the marking scheme it says 'Correct answer from trial and improvement gets full mark.' So how do we get answer by using that method or there is one method only which is shown above?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kundanad)
    Oh thats clear. Thank you so much.
    Btw as I checked the marking scheme it says 'Correct answer from trial and improvement gets full mark.' So how do we get answer by using that method or there is one method only which is shown above?
    You could use trial and improvement, testing various values of n until you find one that gets the sum to be just below 20000 and one that gets it to be just above. However, the quadratic inequality method is much faster. Simply think of the graph of a quadratic with positive x^2 term. It will be above the x-axis (i.e. the quadratic is > 0) both to the left of the lower root and to the right of the higher root. Now you should be able to find the required conditions on n.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.