Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will a history of mental health issues prevent me from becoming a paramedic? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on becoming a paramedic but there is very little information available on the requirements to become a paramedic, and i would like to know if my history of mental health issues will stop me, (this includes self harming, a suicide attempt, anxiety issues and my parents and doctor are currently pushing for a diagnosis of ASD which i am trying to resist because i don't want it to prevent me from becoming a paramedic) i know all this would definitely be on my medical records so i would have to disclose it to be employed. i also know that it is illegal to discriminate based on mental or physical disability but i also understand why in a job such as this it might be important to be mentally healthy. so will this prevent me from becoming a paramedic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artemis139)
    I am planning on becoming a paramedic but there is very little information available on the requirements to become a paramedic, and i would like to know if my history of mental health issues will stop me, (this includes self harming, a suicide attempt, anxiety issues and my parents and doctor are currently pushing for a diagnosis of ASD which i am trying to resist because i don't want it to prevent me from becoming a paramedic) i know all this would definitely be on my medical records so i would have to disclose it to be employed. i also know that it is illegal to discriminate based on mental or physical disability but i also understand why in a job such as this it might be important to be mentally healthy. so will this prevent me from becoming a paramedic?
    I really wish the best for you but it is allowed to discriminate against people with disabilities for job roles. For example, a person with 1 leg might not be the best suited person to become a construction worker for example and so they might be denied the job because they're not physically able to carry out the task.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmmarTa)
    I really wish the best for you but it is allowed to discriminate against people with disabilities for job roles. For example, a person with 1 leg might not be the best suited person to become a construction worker for example and so they might be denied the job because they're not physically able to carry out the task.
    I know that which is why i said i would understand if that were the case for this job but that i don't know if it is.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artemis139)
    If it's in the past and you're recovered, it won't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If it's in the past and you're recovered, it won't be a problem.
    ok, yeah hopefully that's the case thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.