The Student Room Group

A levels that would allow both physics and medicine at uni

I'm not 100% on what course I want to do but I was wondering if I need to decide now or if there are a levels I could take that would keep my options for both open
I’d suggest media studies, dance and travel & tourism.
Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Further Maths).

Not all medical schools require Biology for admission, and students do apply with the above combination(s) successfully - notably two Syrian refugees in the last cycle did so (one did FM, one did not).

Further Maths would be highly recommended if you are realistically wanting to consider Physics. It's pretty irrelevant for Medicine though, where the primary requirement is chemistry, and beyond that a generally scientific background.
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. You could not do Biology but personally I think you’d be a better applicant for medicine if you kept it
(edited 6 years ago)
physics: A-level maths possibly physics too
medicine: A- level chemistry

Don't particularly need biology for a lot of medicine courses as chemistry is often asked over biology, and if you had good results in both maths and chemistry a-level you could possibly get onto both courses without too much trouble. plus if you ever change your mind and want to study something else maths opens a lot of doors
Reply 5
I know maths physics and chemistry and for certain, but I was wondering on advice between biology or further maths.
So which would disadvantage me more,
Not having biology and doing medicine, or not having fm and doing physics.
Any help is appreciated. If I really need to decide now, that's what it is and Ill work it out but it would be lovely if I would be able to keep both options open.
Original post by MankyShoe
I know maths physics and chemistry and for certain, but I was wondering on advice between biology or further maths.
So which would disadvantage me more,
Not having biology and doing medicine, or not having fm and doing physics.
Any help is appreciated. If I really need to decide now, that's what it is and Ill work it out but it would be lovely if I would be able to keep both options open.

There are course for both that don't require the relevant one, but for both it may make some aspects of the course easier once you start. However, I'd suggest FM over Biology as a) it's less of a workload due to subject overlap so you aren't stretched as thin, and b) the relevant biological topics for those courses are going to re-teach at a higher level - whereas the FM content they'll just teach at the same level, more quickly. But either is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest