Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m in a bit of a confused situation at the moment and I’m in need of serious advice
    I got 3 C’s at A-levels in bio, maths and economics and didn’t get my firm uni of Queen Mary which I had my heart set on and instead got into my insurance uni to study ‘economics’. I’ve just started uni and it is a nice environment but I just can’t bear to be going to a uni that I’m not proud of attending and leaving the uni with a hefty debt. Even through clearing it’s proved really hard to get into other uni’s with my grades. Transferring second year isn’t an option as most uni’s don’t allow transfers for economics leaving me with two options; gap year VS stay the year at my current uni, do well and re apply for first yr elsewhere.

GAP YEAR and retaking:----------------
    • If I did retake I’d only redo my maths and economics A-levels again and hope to get A’s and keep the C in bio but would any uni’s accept me with AAC in particular UCL or LSE?
    • Also there’s no guarantee that I’d do better so it might just end up being a waste of a year and still not get into a uni that I like?
    • Also as far as I’ve heard, LSE don’t accept people who retake A-levels

Complete and then redo 1st year:-------
    • When I called LSE, the man suggested completing first yr at my current uni and get a 2:1 and then reapply for first yr entry at LSE but at the same time I can’t help thinking my 3 C’s would hold me back as the competition is already so very high? Like when I proposed the idea to uni’s like QMUL and UCL they just said they would allow first year entry but they’d still look at my A-levels and it would need to be close to their standard requirements of AAA
    • Won’t 3 C’s, a good PS and reference and a 2:1 (or higher) be sufficient enough?????????
    • What if I go through with this plan and get no offers but get a 2:1 on results day or better, is there like a possibility of going through clearing?
    • Would I have to do a new personal statement and reference? Can’t I just used my old reference that was done by my college teacher coz new professors don’t even know me well enough to write me a decent reference or would it show up on UCAS as though I’m plagiarising?
    • Would I need to change my student finance now or later even though I have student finance in place for my current uni? Would this plan just be a waste of my student finance?
    • What if I miss the 2:1 requirements or I get offers and then change my mind about staying at my current uni for second year, will my place at my current uni be gone because of my applications made to other uni’s?

I know this is a lot to take in but I’d appreciate all the advice that can be given. I just don’t want to stay at a uni that I know I’m not going to be happy at and always be reminded that it’s not the place I want to be.
    The deadline for UCAS is looming closer so I’d like to make a decision ASAP before student finance situation gets difficult to come out of or if i decide the second plan, then to hurry up with my application and knuckle down to get that 2:1!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by confused.AF)
    Hi, I’m in a bit of a confused situation at the moment and I’m in need of serious advice
    I got 3 C’s at A-levels in bio, maths and economics and didn’t get my firm uni of Queen Mary which I had my heart set on and instead got into my insurance uni to study ‘economics’. I’ve just started uni and it is a nice environment but I just can’t bear to be going to a uni that I’m not proud of attending and leaving the uni with a hefty debt. Even through clearing it’s proved really hard to get into other uni’s with my grades. Transferring second year isn’t an option as most uni’s don’t allow transfers for economics leaving me with two options; gap year VS stay the year at my current uni, do well and re apply for first yr elsewhere.

GAP YEAR and retaking:----------------
    • If I did retake I’d only redo my maths and economics A-levels again and hope to get A’s and keep the C in bio but would any uni’s accept me with AAC in particular UCL or LSE?
    • Also there’s no guarantee that I’d do better so it might just end up being a waste of a year and still not get into a uni that I like?
    • Also as far as I’ve heard, LSE don’t accept people who retake A-levels

Complete and then redo 1st year:-------
    • When I called LSE, the man suggested completing first yr at my current uni and get a 2:1 and then reapply for first yr entry at LSE but at the same time I can’t help thinking my 3 C’s would hold me back as the competition is already so very high? Like when I proposed the idea to uni’s like QMUL and UCL they just said they would allow first year entry but they’d still look at my A-levels and it would need to be close to their standard requirements of AAA
    • Won’t 3 C’s, a good PS and reference and a 2:1 (or higher) be sufficient enough?????????
    • What if I go through with this plan and get no offers but get a 2:1 on results day or better, is there like a possibility of going through clearing?
    • Would I have to do a new personal statement and reference? Can’t I just used my old reference that was done by my college teacher coz new professors don’t even know me well enough to write me a decent reference or would it show up on UCAS as though I’m plagiarising?
    • Would I need to change my student finance now or later even though I have student finance in place for my current uni? Would this plan just be a waste of my student finance?
    • What if I miss the 2:1 requirements or I get offers and then change my mind about staying at my current uni for second year, will my place at my current uni be gone because of my applications made to other uni’s?

I know this is a lot to take in but I’d appreciate all the advice that can be given. I just don’t want to stay at a uni that I know I’m not going to be happy at and always be reminded that it’s not the place I want to be.
    The deadline for UCAS is looming closer so I’d like to make a decision ASAP before student finance situation gets difficult to come out of or if i decide the second plan, then to hurry up with my application and knuckle down to get that 2:1!
    Why are you talking about UCL and LSE? They will be way harder to get into than QM and you wont be doing it with AAC.

I dont think either options are great. If you resat and get AAC then you will be applying for unis that require AAC and not A*AA.

Your second plan involves spending a years fees, but you are probably committed to at least 25% of those already. I doubt you can back out now and its using a years funding entitlement.

If youd have asked before then i would have said resit and gap, then go to your chosen uni having worked hard enough to get your grades.

Your other option would have been access course.

The other option would have been economics with foundation year, which would have gotten you into a better uni.

I think id stay and get the 2:1 then seek a transfer. i dont see you getting into LSE any time soon. Talk to QM and see what they prefer.

ReputationRep:
    B.B.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that you’d be resitting which is no guarantee you’ll achieve aaa which is usually needed. You can get your teachers to predict it it’s a big jump. The other problem is that they’re already achieved and so other applicants may be preferred who have achieved it first time.

You can transfer and should your desired unis requirements. If you get a high 2.1 it should be ok to transfer into the second year of a course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.