Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

just done my first as chemistry test and it was hard af Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing tons of revision since day one like around and hour and half a day and 2 hours on weekends. just done my first chemistry test and found it so difficult. will it get any easier when I get used to the questions do you think because I was really disappointed.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It would help to know at what level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoshelvey21)
    I've been doing tons of revision since day one like around and hour and half a day and 2 hours on weekends. just done my first chemistry test and found it so difficult. will it get any easier when I get used to the questions do you think because I was really disappointed.
    yeh i'm in the exactly in the same position , yeh it's hard but the way i see it , that first test was an introduction to how things are gonna be , lets just do our best to learn from the mistakes and excel forward , no matter how daunting it seems .

ReputationRep:
    yeah I get you and when I got out of the test I realised how wrong I went and what I was supposed to do 😫😫

ReputationRep:
    If your revision has been rereading notes then that might explain why you found the test hard.

The tests in chemistry usually have a large element of problem solving, so if you haven't practised solving problems they might be tough.

Don't worry about it, it's still early days, these tests happen so you get practise problem solving, just keep up your hard work and make sure you do lots of practise problems in the run up to the actual exams

ReputationRep:
    yeah I get you and when I got out of the test I realised how wrong I went and what I was supposed to do 😫😫
    same here

ReputationRep:
    you're exactly right I was mainly reading my textbook. i don't really want to do past paper questions this early because I want to save them and I'm not really sure where to find questions tbh but thanks

ReputationRep:
    you're exactly right I was mainly reading my textbook. i don't really want to do past paper questions this early because I want to save them and I'm not really sure where to find questions tbh but thanks
    This is where I went wrong last year! Do not not not not do this. Change your revision strategy around now whilst you're still early in the course. Trust me, it gets way harder. Your revision should be 95% questions and 5% reading, making notes.
    A level chemistry practice questions are in abundance and yes you can do them more than once so really don't worry about that. Your school should supply you with questions but it not have a look at these, physics and maths tutor is the main one!
    https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/a-leve...istry-aqa.html
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/
    http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/chemistry

ReputationRep:
    wow thanks so much for this

ReputationRep:
    I found chemistry really hard to begin with but then I spoke to my teacher and they gave me one to one sessions on topics I found hard, I don't know if you could this too?
    Chemistry is more about problem solving and not so much revising content so maybe doing some practice questions will help, try not to worry about it too much because it is early days and you'll adjust

ReputationRep:
    What do you do for revision? Cause I find that doing papers by topic helps you realise what they expect you to write and doing the same question but worded differently helps drill the information into you as there’s only so many different ways they can ask stuff for chemistry

ReputationRep:
    aaaand it will only get harder my friend

ReputationRep:
    What papers do.you use for each topic and where do you find them

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if you’re talking A-Level I know what you mean, I was in he same situation in year one, the tests are a big jump from gcse but you’ll be fine if do some ‘active’ revision, flash cards and past papers are the only way you’ll get a proper understanding of the kind of stuff they’ll ask you in the test and how they mark you on it. I recommend using a programme called ‘anki’ to make cards, it’s hard to explain but it says how they do it on their website.
    Make sure you ask your teacher if there’s something in particular you’re struggling with as they are always happy to assist you!

ReputationRep:
    When you get the grade as long as it's 2 below your target your well on track

ReputationRep:
    I use physicsandmathstutor.com for past paper questions

ReputationRep:
    I use physicsandmathstutors.com too the repetitive questions just helped remembering the info and how to apply it. If you have a kerboodle account you can get checklists for each topic to make sure you know everything needed

ReputationRep:
    you need to do them
    my first as test i got an E
    in the end came out with an A for as with a lot of practice
    don't worry its about how you finish

ReputationRep:
    once you get used to the course (assume you have just started) then it will get easier once you know what is expected and what sort of questions you will get. once you have the fundamental concepts nailed then the rest of it will be easy. however you might also need to change your revision method if you feel you are working hard enough but your grades aren't reflecting it.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly 1.5hrs is peanuts and not enough. Secondly, breathe, it’s your first AS exam, it happens. I got an F in AS Economics and got an A* by the end of 2 years comfortably. Getting used to the style of writing and exam technique will come and within two months, you’ll be laughing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.