Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In a strange situation (Year 14) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the long post. I'm 18 and have left Year 13 and technically now a Year 14 student, if that's a thing.

Some context, I dropped one subject early on in Year 12, then dropped another at the end of Year 12. Both of these were due to the stupid mistake of allowing my parents to dictate what subjects I should do so I ended up hating my subjects.

I had to pick up one subject as my school didn't allow just 2 A levels, so I picked up History AS (1 year) in addition to my normal Geography & Bio courses. At the end of Year 13 I had 2 full A-Levels and 1 AS, which wasn't enough to properly apply to universities. I am aware foundation years/courses exist that could take me on but the majority of ones I were looking at required 3 full A-Levels.

My school allowed me to stay onto Year 14 and transfer into the full History A2 class so that I have 3 full A-levels.

However this has now left me very confused about my university application process because unfortunately I didn't focus enough on Biology revision which resulted in me getting an E. I had got A in the History AS and B in the Geog. I'm aware I'll probably have to put down my Biology grade on my application (how does this work? don't they usually ask for a predicted grade?) And I'm worried I'll get rejected from most courses because they'll see my E grade.

I'm happy with doing the Biology retake privately to get an A-B.

So I'm just wondering how to do this whole thing without getting rejected from every uni I apply to. Some general advice for my situation?

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visae)
    Sorry for the long post. I'm 18 and have left Year 13 and technically now a Year 14 student, if that's a thing.

Some context, I dropped one subject early on in Year 12, then dropped another at the end of Year 12. Both of these were due to the stupid mistake of allowing my parents to dictate what subjects I should do so I ended up hating my subjects.

I had to pick up one subject as my school didn't allow just 2 A levels, so I picked up History AS (1 year) in addition to my normal Geography & Bio courses. At the end of Year 13 I had 2 full A-Levels and 1 AS, which wasn't enough to properly apply to universities. I am aware foundation years/courses exist that could take me on but the majority of ones I were looking at required 3 full A-Levels.

My school allowed me to stay onto Year 14 and transfer into the full History A2 class so that I have 3 full A-levels.

However this has now left me very confused about my university application process because unfortunately I didn't focus enough on Biology revision which resulted in me getting an E. I had got A in the History AS and B in the Geog. I'm aware I'll probably have to put down my Biology grade on my application (how does this work? don't they usually ask for a predicted grade?) And I'm worried I'll get rejected from most courses because they'll see my E grade.

I'm happy with doing the Biology retake privately to get an A-B.

So I'm just wondering how to do this whole thing without getting rejected from every uni I apply to. Some general advice for my situation?

Thanks
    What exactly is your question? You will need to include all your previous grades, and then you'll include the subjects you're taking now as "pending" and so will need predicted grades for them. If you choose a range of unis to apply to then you won't get rejected from them all, and if you do there's always UCAS_Extra and Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    What exactly is your question? You will need to include all your previous grades, and then you'll include the subjects you're taking now as "pending" and so will need predicted grades for them. If you choose a range of unis to apply to then you won't get rejected from them all, and if you do there's always UCAS_Extra and Clearing.
    Where do I actually get predicted grades from? My question is how do I get into a decent uni without getting rejected because of my E which I will retake

Also is there a deadline for privately applying for retakes, and can I actually choose to do an A2 exam
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visae)
    Where do I actually get predicted grades from? My question is how do I get into a decent uni without getting rejected because of my E which I will retake

Also is there a deadline for privately applying for retakes, and can I actually choose to do an A2 exam
    Your predicted grades would come from your teachers, and your referee will input them onto the UCAS form. Your post is confusing as you state you're staying on at school but then say you're retaking privately.

The normal deadline for exam entry is 21st February, although it is possible to enter until 21st April if you don't mind paying a huge fee. But if you are a private candidate, the exam centre will have an earlier deadline (and places might fill up) so you'll need to ask the centre you're interested in what their procedure is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.