Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. Im from pakistan and was considering universities in Netherland since they're cheaper than UK even for International students.

I would like to ask basic questions.

1) Should i go with Research universities ( where the undergrad is of 3 years ) or the Applied sciences universities ( 4 years undergrad ) ?

I am really confused among them but doing my own research i was more interested with Research universities since they are also in the QS ranking. ( Universities such as ' Delft university of technology , university of Amsterdam and uni of twenteu etc '
    Furthermore , i would appreciate if some of the students who's currently studying there could guide me with accommodation expenses as well ? Considering these accommodation charges as well , which of the universities might be better for me to select.

For example , 3 years back my elder brother had the option to go for either University of Manchester and Kings college london but he decided to go for Manchester since it was cheaper with accommodations as well.

Kindly tell me , If there's any other thing which any student think i should be knowing before entering the university can mention here . I would really appreciate if someone could help me with all of my questions.

PS . I've previously passed 11 GCSE subjects and currently taking 4 Alevels.
    The course i'm applying for is ' Computer science '
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Husnain Ali Abid)
    Hello everyone. Im from pakistan and was considering universities in Netherland since they're cheaper than UK even for International students.

1) Should i go with Research universities ( where the undergrad is of 3 years ) or the Applied sciences universities ( 4 years undergrad ) ?

I am really confused among them but doing my own research i was more interested with Research universities since they are also in the QS ranking. ( Universities such as ' Delft university of technology , university of Amsterdam and uni of twenteu etc '
    Furthermore , i would appreciate if some of the students who's currently studying there could guide me with accommodation expenses as well ? Considering these accommodation charges as well , which of the universities might be better for me to select.

For example , 3 years back my elder brother had the option to go for either University of Manchester and Kings college london but he decided to go for Manchester since it was cheaper with accommodations as well.

Kindly tell me , If there's any other thing which any student think i should be knowing before entering the university can mention here . I would really appreciate if someone could help me with all of my questions.

This is a UK site so you may not get many responses. This is in the right section though. What kind of uni you choose depends on what sort of experience you are looking for. Will it be different depending on the type of uni? Rankings don't mean much unless you want to work somewhere where they do. Accommodation info will usually be on the uni websites. You need to think about how the course is structured and taught, how much flexibility there is, what work and research opportunities there are, what links there are with industry, where grads end up and things like location and finance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Could you speak Dutch? most university courses in the Netherlands require you to be able to learn in Dutch before you could study there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Could you speak Dutch? most university courses in the Netherlands require you to be able to learn in Dutch before you could study there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No , I can't really speak dutch but since i've selected the course which are in english so it wont be an issue ?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

No , I can't really speak dutch but since i've selected the course which are in english so it wont be an issue ?
    Then it won't be an issue. It should be fine as long as you are sure the course is in English.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    This is a UK site so you may not get many responses. This is in the right section though. What kind of uni you choose depends on what sort of experience you are looking for. Will it be different depending on the type of uni? Rankings don't mean much unless you want to work somewhere where they do. Accommodation info will usually be on the uni websites. You need to think about how the course is structured and taught, how much flexibility there is, what work and research opportunities there are, what links there are with industry, where grads end up and things like location and finance.
    Thanks for replying back.
    Im looking for a university which costs around 9000-11000 euors/ year plus it should be well recognised in Netherlands. Other than this , university anywhere where the accommodation charges aren't that high .

For now i've received an offer from the ' University of Twente ' .. If you could guide me its reputation ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying back.
    Im looking for a university which costs around 9000-11000 euors/ year plus it should be well recognised in Netherlands. Other than this , university anywhere where the accommodation charges aren't that high .

For now i've received an offer from the ' University of Twente ' .. If you could guide me its reputation ?
    Well done! As I said before I and most people in this site are UK based so won't know much about Dutch unis. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Well done! As I said before I and most people in this site are UK based so won't know much about Dutch unis. Good luck!
    Umm ik this is for UK but i just found threads for Netherland universities so i posted :P
    thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    1. Research universities have programmes focussed on academic research. Applied science universities have a greater focus on practical application. The applied science courses often include a requirement for one or two internships which can explain the four year duration. Generally the entry requirements for Research universities require a higher level of academic secondary education. When looking making your choices you should look at the specific admission requirements. These will differ from course to course and from university to university.

2. At undergraduate level the majority of courses are in Dutch. There is a smaller, but growing, selection of English taught courses. Exceptions to this general rule are universities such as Groningen and Maastricht that focus more on international students and have a higher number of english-taught courses.

3. Although the big 4 (Amsterdam, Utrecht, Leiden, Groningen) have the leading reputation (based on student population, research budgets etc) the medium size universities can be equally good , especially in some niche areas. It might be best to choose your university based on its reputation for the specific course you wish to follow. You could have a look at the subject university rankings as well as rankings for the university as a whole. I think this is a better criteria for choosing a university than accommodation availability.

4. Finding accommodation is difficult for all students. Generally, it is cheaper and easier to find a place to stay in universities based outside the Randstad area (Western Netherlands between Amsterdam Rotterdam and Utrecht). Universities will sometimes help international students finding accommodation but you should be prepared to have to look for a student room along with lots of other first years.

5. Unless you are an EU citizen following your first undergraduate course, fees will vary between universities and between courses. So make sure you check out the fee schedule once you have chosen your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PML)
    1. Research universities have programmes focussed on academic research. Applied science universities have a greater focus on practical application. The applied science courses often include a requirement for one or two internships which can explain the four year duration. Generally the entry requirements for Research universities require a higher level of academic secondary education. When looking making your choices you should look at the specific admission requirements. These will differ from course to course and from university to university.

2. At undergraduate level the majority of courses are in Dutch. There is a smaller, but growing, selection of English taught courses. Exceptions to this general rule are universities such as Groningen and Maastricht that focus more on international students and have a higher number of english-taught courses.

3. Although the big 4 (Amsterdam, Utrecht, Leiden, Groningen) have the leading reputation (based on student population, research budgets etc) the medium size universities can be equally good , especially in some niche areas. It might be best to choose your university based on its reputation for the specific course you wish to follow. You could have a look at the subject university rankings as well as rankings for the university as a whole. I think this is a better criteria for choosing a university than accommodation availability.

4. Finding accommodation is difficult for all students. Generally, it is cheaper and easier to find a place to stay in universities based outside the Randstad area (Western Netherlands between Amsterdam Rotterdam and Utrecht). Universities will sometimes help international students finding accommodation but you should be prepared to have to look for a student room along with lots of other first years.

5. Unless you are an EU citizen following your first undergraduate course, fees will vary between universities and between courses. So make sure you check out the fee schedule once you have chosen your course.

Thanks , Noted !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.