Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology and History at a-level. I'm from NI, looking to study Chemistry, preferably in/near a city, that sort of metropolitan feel with a lot of students if ya get me
    I don't know much about English cities and would really appreciate any suggestions
    In my AS exams I got an A in Chemistry, an A in History and a B in Biology (1 mark off an A :/) and I am aiming for 3 As this year.
    We've started applying for unis in school and I haven't a clue, would appreciate any help. thanksss

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider London, as it is a very expensive and highly populated city?
    However, there are multiple good university located within London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitype)
    Would you consider London, as it is a very expensive and highly populated city?
    However, there are multiple good university located within London
    I was initially considering UCL and would love to study in London, but, coming from a working-class family, the financial burden would be too much I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukerat)
    I was initially considering UCL and would love to study in London, but, coming from a working-class family, the financial burden would be too much I think.
    I would also think that coming from a working class family, it would be very hard to survive in London. Everything is expensive from the travel, the accommodation and the ameneties.
    How about the University of Manchester, or Birmingham. Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick have very strong departments in Chemistry, with the addition of them being Russell Group.
    Probably your best option is picking universities that are RG in major cities. Also have a look at the Unistats for the courses. They give very good information.
    Also, I study at Warwick, but I do Biomedical Science rather than Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukerat)
    I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology and History at a-level. I'm from NI, looking to study Chemistry, preferably in/near a city, that sort of metropolitan feel with a lot of students if ya get me
    I don't know much about English cities and would really appreciate any suggestions
    In my AS exams I got an A in Chemistry, an A in History and a B in Biology (1 mark off an A :/) and I am aiming for 3 As this year.
    We've started applying for unis in school and I haven't a clue, would appreciate any help. thanksss
    Ik bath and Bristol are good for science
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Southampton and Bath have good Chemistry departments. Southampton also has convenient airport access, and is not far by train from London for an odd trip (e.g. for interviews). Sheffield is also a good option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitype)
    I would also think that coming from a working class family, it would be very hard to survive in London. Everything is expensive from the travel, the accommodation and the ameneties.
    How about the University of Manchester, or Birmingham. Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick have very strong departments in Chemistry, with the addition of them being Russell Group.
    Probably your best option is picking universities that are RG in major cities. Also have a look at the Unistats for the courses. They give very good information.
    Also, I study at Warwick, but I do Biomedical Science rather than Chemistry.
    I was looking at Nottingham as it seems to have that good mix of campus-city student life, not a huge city but I think it has a rather large student population.
    I was actually considering Warwick but am a bit hesitant due to the fact that it seems to be a bit away from everything. What is the university like? What is the student/campus life like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Southampton and Bath have good Chemistry departments. Southampton also has convenient airport access, and is not far by train from London for an odd trip (e.g. for interviews). Sheffield is also a good option.
    Sheffield looks nice tbh, I have put down Bath atm but I'm worried it might be a bit dull socially as it's such a small city

ReputationRep:
    Everyone always forgets about Leeds

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.