What to study at uni? Childhood studies/Early childhood studies

Watch
Elleee1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I'm currently study level 3 dimploa in childcare and education. I have written my personal statement and it is completed. I recieved a grade B for my level 3 certifcate in childcare and ecucation and aiming for the same or higher this year. My dream career would be to become a primary school teacher however due to my science grade i am unable to study primary education . i just wanted some adivce on the following degrees

Ba(Hons) Early childhood studies
Ba(Hons) Childhood studies

I am also struggling to decide which universities are the best to study these degrees at

From what i can see childhood studies is more like what i do now but in more detail and wider context and early childhood studies goes into history, sociology etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Elle
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elleee1234)
Hi,
I'm currently study level 3 dimploa in childcare and education. I have written my personal statement and it is completed. I recieved a grade B for my level 3 certifcate in childcare and ecucation and aiming for the same or higher this year. My dream career would be to become a primary school teacher however due to my science grade i am unable to study primary education . i just wanted some adivce on the following degrees

I am also struggling to decide which universities are the best to study these degrees at

From what i can see childhood studies is more like what i do now but in more detail and wider context and early childhood studies goes into history, sociology etc.

Thanks
Elle
Hi

Im a first year studying Early Childhood Studies and im hoping to become a primary school teacher too

I dont know much about Childhood Studies but i know for ECS (especially at my uni) it covers a wide range of holistic topics- history, sociology, psychology, health, education etc

I might be a bit bias but i do think this is a good course. As it's quite broad it allows you to go into various jobs in this sector.

Do you know what universities youre applying to or are interested in?
Elleee1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Hi

Im a first year studying Early Childhood Studies and im hoping to become a primary school teacher too

I dont know much about Childhood Studies but i know for ECS (especially at my uni) it covers a wide range of holistic topics- history, sociology, psychology, health, education etc

I might be a bit bias but i do think this is a good course. As it's quite broad it allows you to go into various jobs in this sector.

Do you know what universities youre applying to or are interested in?

Thank you so much for applying

I was wondering would you be able to tell me where you are studying

The ones i have looked at are
university of wolverhampton
birmingham city univeristy
univeristy of derby
university of northampton

I live in birmingham but i want to more than move out of the famliy home
Arianax
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could always do gcse science at college or level 2 equivalent.

I’ve heard you can do secondary teaching then go into primary school teaching so you have both options available. You could always study the early childhood studies or childhood studies then do gcse science alongside because I think you need it for pgce.

I’ve opted for a different degree all together, may do pgce later if I want to into teaching
Elleee1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ishax)
You could always do gcse science at college or level 2 equivalent.

I’ve heard you can do secondary teaching then go into primary school teaching so you have both options available. You could always study the early childhood studies or childhood studies then do gcse science alongside because I think you need it for pgce.

I’ve opted for a different degree all together, may do pgce later if I want to into teaching

thank you for you reply

yeah but im currently doing maths at college so therefore would end up doing science alongside my degree
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much for applying

I was wondering would you be able to tell me where you are studying

The ones i have looked at are
university of wolverhampton
birmingham city univeristy
univeristy of derby
university of northampton

I live in birmingham but i want to more than move out of the famliy home
The unis i have applied to were:
University of Suffolk
Hertfordshire
Anglia Ruskin
Roehampton

Decided to go to Suffolk in the end. I feel like not many people wouldve heard of this place but its one of the UKs newest university. A bit small but the people here are really nice
Arianax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thank you for you reply

yeah but im currently doing maths at college so therefore would end up doing science alongside my degree
Do you need it for PGCE? If not, then don’t bother
Elleee1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ishax)
Do you need it for PGCE? If not, then don’t bother
yeah you do i just checked theres no way of me getting out off it
Arianax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah you do i just checked theres no way of me getting out off it
You’re going to have to do it at university then, it’s better to get it out of the way now rather than later.
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
Elle
Hi Elle,

Have you had a look at Hertfordshire? We offer Early Childhood Education and Education Studies degrees. You can take a look at our videos to give you a taster of our Early Childhood Education course and what it involves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=AmNhvv1ey_o and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFhuMEJhoE

In your second year you'll undertake a work placement in an early childhood setting for approximately 22 days.

We've got an open day coming up this Sunday, and we'll be streaming it live on Facebook if you want to have a look around campus!

If you've got any questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
Elle
Hiya Elle:hi:

I am not sure what you're referring to as a BA in Childhood Studies since none of the Universities you've listed offer a course with that title.

Are you referring to Education Studies?

Elleee1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Hiya Elle:hi:

I am not sure what you're referring to as a BA in Childhood Studies since none of the Universities you've listed offer a course with that title.

Are you referring to Education Studies?

Sorry

Childhood studies is at
University college Birmingham
University of Bristol
Nottingham Trent university
As far as I am aware there is a few other tho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.92%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.41%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
9.01%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.81%

Watched Threads