Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Was wondering if there're any universities that offer this specific joint course? By medical science I mean a science discipline to do with health/medicine
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'll be interested if you find anything as I love both disciplines and would definitely be something i'd love to do if I fail to get into medicine I take literature alongside Biology and chemistry. I know a Liberal Arts and Sciences degree is vaguely similar as you get to choose modules from both sciences and arts so could potentially choose this. Look up UCL's course
    As a medical student I know that there are universities that offer intercalated degrees in medical humanities (Literature, Philossophy, Humanities) Which is something I plan on doing!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very few and far between, outside of a few unusual exceptions (such as UCLs Arts and Sciences course). Such combined honours courses have largely fallen out of favour following the economic depression, in favour of more focused single honours or joint honours between related areas.

There are some more interdisciplinary course which may involve elements of both - for example courses in the History and Philosophy or Science, or Science, Technology, and Society - but this isn't literature, you aren't exclusively reading and analysing literary texts, and the majority of texts you do look at will be non-fiction (or at least, were considered non-fiction at the time...).

Particularly given how completely divided those subject areas are, it's debatable whether it's even an advisable combination. You can read, fiction or non-fiction, while doing a degree - you can even attend plays and poetry sessions etc (or perform in them, if you want) - regardless of subject (but certainly to the point, this is still true if you do a single honours biology course). Equally if you primariyl want to pursue literature as an academic subject, you can still stay informed and involved in scientific breakthroughs and activism, and even look to literary texts where scientific processes are related to the plot.

I would suggest you consider what you hope to do after you get your degree, which will likely inform which direction would be advisable to focus on. In general though, you can do anything that you can do with a literature degree, with a bioscience degree - except, usually, pursue a PhD and academia in literature. The reverse is not true.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.