Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I came out of GCSE’s with 3B’s 4A’s and 3A*. For my a levels i am doing maths chemistry, English literature and biology. I want to apply to do PPE at oxford or classics or Medicine at Cambridge. I am focused for my A levels and for GCSE’s I didn’t try and i took care of my mum who was ill. Looking at my GCSE’s what are the chances of me getting in.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You have extenuating circumstances, so should be fine. Make sure to add that to your application, when you eventually apply.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As above, you have extenuating circumstances that will be considered. While Oxford does rely on GCSEs more, you may well be under consideration there due to these anyway. You would primarily be assessed on your pre-interview assessments and reference/predicted grades for Cambridge anyway - they consider GCSEs, but mainly in light of your whole application, and if you both had extenuating circumstances, good (albeit not great, but certainly more than bad) GCSE scores and did well in the relevant assessments and had the appropriate predictions, they would likely be encouraged by the improvement.

However those three subjects are worlds apart. PPE vs Classics is a very different split in modern vs ancient study - both pedagogically and in terms of subject - and medicine is completely different to that as well. You may want to consider medicine more carefully over this year, and try to get some relevant volunteering/work or shadowing (emphasis on the former, rather than the latter) experiences in patient facing environments to see if that's for you. It's a significant commitment, moreso than the other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    You really need to work out which subject you want to study at university before you think about which university you want to go to; the ones you've mentioned are poles apart. At the moment it sounds as though you're interested in Oxford/Cambridge first and your subject second, which is potentially a recipe for a miserable 3-6 years (depending on which degree you apply for), never mind the influence your subject choice will have over your future after graduation.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.