Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying for Philosophy with irrelevant background Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right here's my dilemma, I came back into education recently and am pursuing an access course in Business/Law, I originally wanted to pursue either Philosophy or Politics at Uni but when choosing an access course the humanities access course at my college seemed really poor (you only study English, Criminology and Psychology) thus I chose my Business course, thinking I could pursue a Business degree based on job prospects.

I am enjoying my course well enough and doing good but now it's coming to the point where I need to write my PS and choose my uni courses, and I've found myself leaning towards Philosophy again (I'd rather just do a bachelor degree I enjoy and do a business masters or something). Now I've contacted a few Uni's I'm interested in (Uob, York, Liverpool) and they all say that there are no specific subject requirements to read Philosophy and it's more down to a good PS, but part of me still thinks I'd be wasting my time applying with a subject that's completely irrelevant and that I'd just get 5 rejections.

Would appreciate any thoughts, I need my PS written for one of my access course modules within the next 2 weeks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well there is really no "relevant" background for philosophy - or, arguably, there is no irrelevant background. The nature of the subject means a) they don't normally expect any specific subject knowledge and b) your ability to do well is bound solely to your critical analysis and evaluation skills, which also underpin most other subjects you may study anyway.

Given that modern "business" stems from a specific philosophy itself anyway, and there is a major branch of (political) philosophy that opposes this, it's not even wholly unrelated as a result. This is even before considered aspects of "practical" philosophy that are applicable, such as the vast area of ethics...

Anyway, as the universities said, provided you can convince them you have a genuine interest in the subject and are academically able to cope with the course in your application, there's no reason to suggest you wouldn't be able to apply successfully. Not all applicants take History/English Literature/other "arts" option - there will be those with more focused backgrounds, in STEM, business/economics, etc, etc. You may want to do some wider reading in the area, which will help confirm if it's for you, and can give you things to write about in your PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "mature"student)
    Right here's my dilemma, I came back into education recently and am pursuing an access course in Business/Law, I originally wanted to pursue either Philosophy or Politics at Uni but when choosing an access course the humanities access course at my college seemed really poor (you only study English, Criminology and Psychology) thus I chose my Business course, thinking I could pursue a Business degree based on job prospects.

I am enjoying my course well enough and doing good but now it's coming to the point where I need to write my PS and choose my uni courses, and I've found myself leaning towards Philosophy again (I'd rather just do a bachelor degree I enjoy and do a business masters or something). Now I've contacted a few Uni's I'm interested in (Uob, York, Liverpool) and they all say that there are no specific subject requirements to read Philosophy and it's more down to a good PS, but part of me still thinks I'd be wasting my time applying with a subject that's completely irrelevant and that I'd just get 5 rejections.

Would appreciate any thoughts, I need my PS written for one of my access course modules within the next 2 weeks.

agree with artful lounger above. I'm doing phil and myself and most people i've spoken to didnt take it a-level.
    it's just a case of good grades and a pursuasive ps. Id really make sure you want to do it though as its quite different from business studies. Pick up something like problems in phil by bertrand russel.If you like that then you can use it in your ps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.