Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya - wanting to apply to Durham to do Maths! I was wondering if someone knowledgable would give me any pros and cons of St Mary's and St John's College? Finding it hard to pick which one! I've compiled a list below but please tell me more which may help me to decide. Also please tell me if any of the pros and cons below are wrong or that you disagree with!

St Mary's Pros
    Close to the maths department (I'm a night owl, hate getting up earlier than I need to)
    Fully catered - I've heard the food is actually pretty decent
    JCR seems more active?
    Like the possibility of being able to live in college during second year (saves the hassle of finding accomodation elsewhere)
    K.Kawai piano in Kenworthy hall
    24/7 library

St Mary's Cons
    Pretty far away from town and shops
    Big college which I'm not too keen on
    From the pictures I've seen the library looks pretty small?

St John's Pros
    Soooo pretty!
    7 minutes walk away from town centre
    Small college which I like
    Fully catered
    I like how big and airy the library looks
    Parsonage music practice room, Bailey room and Steinway piano (I'm currently grade 8 piano)
    Loving the look of the modern laundry rooms :'
    24/7 library
    Free formals!

St John's Cons
    A little further away from the maths department
    Seems quite theology orientated (I've been at a catholic school for most of my life so it would be nice to experience a slightly different atmosphere)
    Have to move out in second-year

ReputationRep:
    John's is amazing. I'm sure that Mary's is also great but you won't be unhappy here at John's. There is college communion and we have Cranmer Hall but you won't fail to fit in if you're unreligious. It plays little role in college life unless you actively make it part of your experience, I have found, so far.

ReputationRep:
    John's is not actually that far from the Science Site - a walk you quickly get used to. You also don't *have* to move out in second year, it's just strongly encouraged/assumed that you do (most colleges are like this)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentin11)
    John's is amazing. I'm sure that Mary's is also great but you won't be unhappy here at John's. There is college communion and we have Cranmer Hall but you won't fail to fit in if you're unreligious. It plays little role in college life unless you actively make it part of your experience, I have found, so far.
    (Original post by ExcitinglyMundane)
    John's is not actually that far from the Science Site - a walk you quickly get used to. You also don't *have* to move out in second year, it's just strongly encouraged/assumed that you do (most colleges are like this)
    Thanks! In the end I decided to go for St John's and these posts are making me feel reassured, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Good choice, Johns is definitely much more desirable than mary's

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.