Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap year, natural science and personal statement ?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a gap year and hoping to study natural science and due to a difficult year and extenuating circumstances I couldn't get my aspiring grades. SO, should I do a brand new personal statement or keep it the same and change it slightly ?

Should I get the school to give me a predicted grade from previous year which was B,C,C or not give me predicted grades at all . As I recieved B,D,D and I strongly believe I will be able to achieve As and A*s this year, however they said they don't give new predicted grades for people on gap years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikstarz)
    I am currently on a gap year and hoping to study natural science and due to a difficult year and extenuating circumstances I couldn't get my aspiring grades. SO, should I do a brand new personal statement or keep it the same and change it slightly ?

Should I get the school to give me a predicted grade from previous year which was B,C,C or not give me predicted grades at all . As I recieved B,D,D and I strongly believe I will be able to achieve As and A*s this year, however they said they don't give new predicted grades for people on gap years.
    You need predicted grades from somewhere and you can’t make your own predictions. Your application will not be given a second glance without predicted grades. Whoever writes your reference will state your predicted grades, you’ll have to use the ones from school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You need predicted grades from somewhere and you can’t make your own predictions. Your application will not be given a second glance without predicted grades. Whoever writes your reference will state your predicted grades, you’ll have to use the ones from school.
    are the predicted grades mentioned in the reference or is there a section for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sss1233)
    are the predicted grades mentioned in the reference or is there a section for it
    Does it matter? Whoever writes your reference will state your predicted grades at some point in your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    But I don't understand the teacher at my school said I'm going to be like a private candidate so I don't have to have given predicted grades and can be left blank. So is that going to put me at a disadvantage or should I take last years grade ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sss1233)
    There is a different section for it I believe. The reference itself consists of comments made by your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikstarz)
    But I don't understand the teacher at my school said I'm going to be like a private candidate so I don't have to have given predicted grades and can be left blank. So is that going to put me at a disadvantage or should I take last years grade ?
    As I said no university will continue with your application if you don’t have predicted grades. You don’t technically ‘need’ them to actually submit your application through the system, but you logistically need them so universities know what to base a potential offer on. They won’t just look at your application and give you their standard offer if you don’t have someone saying you’re predicted to get those grades. You need to use whatever predictions they give you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.