Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i brought a Laptop at the beginning of the Uni year but it only has 32 GB internal storage ( I know, I know this is a terrible decision) so of course its already full and I can't update or backup my phone on iTunes because no matter what I delete the 'Important stuff' just takes up too much space Any ideas on how to increase my internal storage? Something that is reliable and actually works please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HabibaSR)
    So i brought a Laptop at the beginning of the Uni year but it only has 32 GB internal storage ( I know, I know this is a terrible decision) so of course its already full and I can't update or backup my phone on iTunes because no matter what I delete the 'Important stuff' just takes up too much space Any ideas on how to increase my internal storage? Something that is reliable and actually works please
    You can get a memory stick or a portable hard drive. Try to get a memory stick over 100gb or a really good portable hard drive that is not too big
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What sort of laptop only comes with 32GB of internal storage? Is this one of those really *****y netbooks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    What sort of laptop only comes with 32GB of internal storage? Is this one of those really *****y netbooks?
    As far as I know only chrome books or crappy netbooks lmao

Get an external SSD/hard drive

ReputationRep:
    LOL I know right :bricks: Its actually an Asus Laptop. God knows what they were thinking when they invented it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilitios)
    You can get a memory stick or a portable hard drive. Try to get a memory stick over 100gb or a really good portable hard drive that is not too big
    Thanks! Sounds like a good idea. Any idea where to get good and affordable ones from?

ReputationRep:
    LOL I know right :bricks: Its actually an Asus Laptop. God knows what they were thinking when they invented it.
    "How could we make a huge profit on a laptop which people might be tricked into buying?"
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Chromebooks, low end netbooks, low end 2-in-1 convertibles, and the like.

Most laptops with a decent sped will come with a decent capacity HDD. More expensive ones may come with a decent SSD.

Best bet for the OP would be to upgrade to a better laptop, or at the very least, buy an external hard drive and plug that in for data.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Chromebooks, low end netbooks, low end 2-in-1 convertibles, and the like.

Most laptops with a decent sped will come with a decent capacity HDD. More expensive ones may come with a decent SSD.

Best bet for the OP would be to upgrade to a better laptop, or at the very least, buy an external hard drive and plug that in for data.
    The question was rhetorical - I'm quite aware :')

ReputationRep:
    Loads of things

Get a free Dropbox account

Use a USB

Use a micro sd card (best for phone to laptop transfer)

Use a file compressor

Use Outlook/Gmail storage

ReputationRep:
    That's an insanely small HDD, is it some kind of netbook or the like? At any rate look to see if it can accept a new larger HDD or buy a plug in portable one
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    God knows what they were thinking when they invented it.
    They were probably thinking "I bet if we made a laptop with 32GB of storage, people will still buy it."
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    They were probably thinking "I bet if we made a laptop with 32GB of storage, people will still buy it."
    Must be targeting long term coma patients; I suppose if you've just woken up from a 35 year coma, it might seem like a steal - then again, the concept of a laptop might send you into another one :laugh:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Must be targeting long term coma patients; I suppose if you've just woken up from a 35 year coma, it might seem like a steal - then again, the concept of a laptop might send you into another one :laugh:
    The first computer recognisable as a laptop (built in screen, keyboard and rechargeable battery while being small and light enough to carry and use on your lap comfortably) was actually released 36 years ago :yep: although coming from the 80s straight through to 21st century tech would probably still blow your mind!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.