Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OXBRIDGE UNIVERSITY APPLICATIONS
    Hi I'm having a little bit of a panic at the moment so I thought I'd come here to talk it out/seek advice.

I've spent a long time thinking about universities umming and ahhing about whether to apply to Oxbridge or not - I've visited Cambridge twice but not Oxford at all. I just felt like my heart wasn't really in it though and based on my experience at Cambridge I was a little put off, mostly by the course. So I ditched the idea of Oxbridge altogether about a month or so ago but I'm having a last minute panic looking at the Oxford website and wondering if I've dismissed it too quickly and if I've missed my chance.

TLDR; here's the position I'm in:
    1. I have not visited Oxford University and all my information about it has been taken from the website.
    2. I told my school at the start of September that I'd like to be entered for the ELAT and this has not been contradicted (I should still be able to take the test)
    3. I have written one draft of my personal statement and had feedback from teachers, yet to edit.
    4. I have no idea how my references are going, my form tutor seems to think that nobody at our school is applying to Oxbridge even though I have informed several staff.

I don't know what to do. I'm worried it might be too late, and if it isn't, I'm worried that I don't know enough to make an informed decision on what to do. My initial perspective was that there's no harm in applying but now I'm a little confused and feel like there's no time. Please help! Any and all advice is more than welcome!

ReputationRep:
    My suggestion would be not to allow panic to make the decision for you! Spend an hour or two tomorrow looking at the course(s) you are interested in, and thinking about the things that make Oxford special - particularly the college structure (as opposed to being in a big campus type uni), the high workload and the weekly tutorials. Make your decision based on whether you would like that.

If you do decide to go for it, then put your energy into sorting out your application. Redraft your PS this weekend and when you go into school on Monday, insist on seeing your teachers that day. You don't want to be looking back with regret in the months to come and thinking, "If only..." Plus, a few days of stress will be good practice for an essay crisis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    My suggestion would be not to allow panic to make the decision for you! Spend an hour or two tomorrow looking at the course(s) you are interested in, and thinking about the things that make Oxford special - particularly the college structure (as opposed to being in a big campus type uni), the high workload and the weekly tutorials. Make your decision based on whether you would like that.

If you do decide to go for it, then put your energy into sorting out your application. Redraft your PS this weekend and when you go into school on Monday, insist on seeing your teachers that day. You don't want to be looking back with regret in the months to come and thinking, "If only..." Plus, a few days of stress will be good practice for an essay crisis!
    Thank you! I think I've got a habit of jumping to worst-case scenarios aha, but I guess it's better to happen now than in a few weeks when it really would be too late. Definitely know what I'll be doing this weekend - you really helped to put it into a more reasonable/manageable light for me, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebecarys)
    Thank you! I think I've got a habit of jumping to worst-case scenarios aha, but I guess it's better to happen now than in a few weeks when it really would be too late. Definitely know what I'll be doing this weekend - you really helped to put it into a more reasonable/manageable light for me, thanks!
    I panic less when I have a clear structure for decision making And don't worry if you don't fancy it - Oxford really isn't for everyone - but it's better to feel that you have made that decision rather than been railroaded by anxiety or other people or whatever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.