Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can these people say so confidently that I do have friends? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was feeling lonely recently - my studies got in top of me and I was feeling a little isolated socially. I said on Facebook to some people that I felt that I had no friends - all of the academic pressure was making me a bit unwell before my assignments were spaced out.

Some responded 'if you think you have no friends then you are wrong. Look up the definition of friend in a dictionary and apply it to people you know'. Another said to me 'you do have friends and can talk to me anytime'

My question is how can these people be so confident that I do have friends? They're no longer with me (i.e. We separated geographically and I haven't saw these people for a long time). Immeresing myself in studies often makes me feel lonely, and in the absence of people immediately around me, I can feel that I have no friends. I don't really speak to people anymore from school anymore and get very few messages by text/social media.

How can these people say that I 'do have friends' and 'if you think you have no friends then you are wrong' when I feel so lonely and friendless at times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    I was feeling lonely recently - my studies got in top of me and I was feeling a little isolated socially. I said on Facebook to some people that I felt that I had no friends - all of the academic pressure was making me a bit unwell before my assignments were spaced out.

Some responded 'if you think you have no friends then you are wrong. Look up the definition of friend in a dictionary and apply it to people you know'. Another said to me 'you do have friends and can talk to me anytime'

My question is how can these people be so confident that I do have friends? They're no longer with me (i.e. We separated geographically and I haven't saw these people for a long time). Immeresing myself in studies often makes me feel lonely, and in the absence of people immediately around me, I can feel that I have no friends. I don't really speak to people anymore from school anymore and get very few messages by text/social media.

How can these people say that I 'do have friends' and 'if you think you have no friends then you are wrong' when I feel so lonely and friendless at times?
    Trust me, you can have friends and still feel lonely. They probably just dont understand what youre feeling. But tbh just because your friends are far away, it doesnt mean theyre not your friends anymore

ReputationRep:

Try to talk to the people in your school. Talk to your older friends more so they can catch up with your life can with theirs. Don’t let studies overcome you and try to do think less of it, but don’t get rid of them from your mind.

ReputationRep:

This is the third time I've seen this post. Wth?

ReputationRep:

Reality of the matter is; You do have friends.

You're just bare depressed. Plus you must've been the more social type before, so I'm gona go ahead and presume that this is the main reason why you feel lonely when you compare the amount of friends you had in the past, to now.

By the way - there are many types of friends from the get go and as it stands, it all depends on your personal definition of friendship.

From my perspective being depressed over this type of thing is just gay brav. Like there's anime and hentai and other things to occupy yourself with. Friends don't matter - they come and go; you're just a pit stop for them before they get back on the roads... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.