Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kind of feeling betrayed. Am I overrreacting? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I moved schools for sixth form and only now am I settling in and getting accustomed to the new school and people.

Last week, I left my school bag unattended for no more than 5minutes with a group of my friends in school. One of closer friends removed my phone from my bag, unlocked it (I had not told her or anyone my passoword) and had searched through my messages, photos etc. She even took over 20 photos (selfies).

I haven't got any incriminating photos or messages on my phone, but I still feel uncomfortable and don't want a person that I have known for four weeks seeing all of my photos.

Since that incident I've changed my password but am still paranoid around her, for instance I've been changing my password every other day when she's around. It's practically impossible to avoid her because she catches the same bus as me and uses the same study areas as me.

Whenever I'm around she makes comments refrering to my phone messages and photos and know my other friends are doing the same.

It's all stressing me out and just makes question why the hell would you search through your friends phone. I find it disrespectful and inappropriate. Everytime I'm around them I'm thinking have they done this before without my knowledge and if they'll do it again.

Am I overreacting? I haven't dealt with friendship drama like this in years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maia_1011)
    Recently, I moved schools for sixth form and only now am I settling in and getting accustomed to the new school and people.

Last week, I left my school bag unattended for no more than 5minutes with a group of my friends in school. One of closer friends removed my phone from my bag, unlocked it (I had not told her or anyone my passoword) and had searched through my messages, photos etc. She even took over 20 photos (selfies).

I haven't got any incriminating photos or messages on my phone, but I still feel uncomfortable and don't want a person that I have known for four weeks seeing all of my photos.

Since that incident I've changed my password but am still paranoid around her, for instance I've been changing my password every other day when she's around. It's practically impossible to avoid her because she catches the same bus as me and uses the same study areas as me.

Whenever I'm around she makes comments refrering to my phone messages and photos and know my other friends are doing the same.

It's all stressing me out and just makes question why the hell would you search through your friends phone. I find it disrespectful and inappropriate. Everytime I'm around them I'm thinking have they done this before without my knowledge and if they'll do it again.

Am I overreacting? I haven't dealt with friendship drama like this in years.
    Try to get over it it was just one time and try and ask the person how they got in our phone and why they did it

ReputationRep:
    You’re not over reacting. That is a gross invasion of your privacy, incredibly disrespectful and very immature
    You could perhaps have a conversation with her and tell her you didn’t appreciate it and that she shouldn’t do it again. Clear the air.
    Only you can decide if it’s a friendship worth continuing

ReputationRep:
    take her phone and try and get into it , if you can't, crack it and put it back in her pocket/bag

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're overreacting at all, what they done is a compete breach of your privacy which as friends they should not do. And if they didn't know your password I know it's possible to still take pictures without the phone being fully unlocked so maybe your friend is just joking about the messages?

In regards to your phone, implying you have a fairly new model a lot of them have alternative ways to unlock your phone including fingers scanners iris scanners etc which will allow you to unlock your phone without anyone seeing your password. Alternatively rather then a number password switch it too a familiar word mixed with numbers that no one can guess

Going back to what I said have you thought they could be simply teasing you and just having light banter about the situation and maybe just trying to annoy you saying they saw something when they really didn't? I remember when I was in school that would happen a lot within my group of friends.

I think the best thing to do would be to keep your phone on you at all times, or if you leave your bag take your phone with you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.