Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have A*,A,A in business, economics and IT at A-Level and am currently on a gap year in China before applying next year. I wish to go straight into investment banking what Uni/course would you recommend ?
    UCL - IT with management
    KCL - International Management with Mandarin
    LSE- International Relations

Opinions would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackhud147)
    i have A*,A,A in business, economics and IT at A-Level and am currently on a gap year in China before applying next year. I wish to go straight into investment banking what Uni/course would you recommend ?
    UCL - IT with management

All 3 are good although LSE is the best there.

However the problem is you've taken some pretty crap a levels which means you're unlikely to get into LSE. Maybe the others you'll have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friyaa23)
    All 3 are good although LSE is the best there.

However the problem is you've taken some pretty crap a levels which means you're unlikely to get into LSE. Maybe the others you'll have a chance.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think a degree in international relations is any good for investment banking tho ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think a degree in international relations is any good for investment banking tho ?
    Yes it's fine, it's the uni you go to that matters

ReputationRep:
    UCL - IT with management

You're going to have a hard time writing a PS for all three..

What are your other 2 options?

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks. Ill give LSE a go, even tho i agree i didn't pick the ideal A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    You're going to have a hard time writing a PS for all three..

What are your other 2 options?
    I know that is a valid point ! Neither KCL or UCL will accept a supplementary personal statement so i may have to risk that i will get an offer from Kings or LSE as i can write a personal statement for those two.

Although i have been told KCL is pretty poor for IB, what do you think ?

ReputationRep:
    I know that is a valid point ! Neither KCL or UCL will accept a supplementary personal statement so i may have to risk that i will get an offer from Kings or LSE as i can write a personal statement for those two.

Don't set your eyes on LSE because you need to have a tailored PS and suitable subject combo - applying to IT at another uni and having economics and business together may hold you back, but I don't know the statistics for international relations.

KCL is alright, doesn't have a great representation for IB as LSE/UCL do, but you have A*AA which will carry a lot of weight.

You'll be fine. Just make sure you make your CV stand out for spring weeks.

ReputationRep:

KCL is not poor for IB. They're a semi target and there are banks that organise networking events for KCL students (some joint with UCL for example). They're not as good as UCL or LSE but then again UCL and LSE are one of the best ones.

ReputationRep:
    Don't set your eyes on LSE because you need to have a tailored PS and suitable subject combo - applying to IT at another uni and having economics and business together may hold you back, but I don't know the statistics for international relations.

KCL is alright, doesn't have a great representation for IB as LSE/UCL do, but you have A*AA which will carry a lot of weight.

You'll be fine. Just make sure you make your CV stand out for spring weeks.
    I believe i would get an offer from UCL as the course is suited to my A-Levels and i have a fair bit of extra curricular experience in the technology area, although i would prefer the course at KCL.

You think best move would be to apply to UCL as it will increase likelihood of IB job prospects

ReputationRep:
    I believe i would get an offer from UCL as the course is suited to my A-Levels and i have a fair bit of extra curricular experience in the technology area, although i would prefer the course at KCL.

You think best move would be to apply to UCL as it will increase likelihood of IB job prospects
    You can if you want. There's plenty of other good universities around the UK for IB, have you considered them - I presume London is where you want to be?

ReputationRep:
    You can if you want. There's plenty of other good universities around the UK for IB, have you considered them - I presume London is where you want to be?
    Yeah London would be preferred. Why what universities do you think would be good ? Sorry to mither you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah London would be preferred. Why what universities do you think would be good ? Sorry to mither you
    Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham etc. There's more, but provided you have a stand out CV - you should be good.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester, Exeter, Birmingham etc. There's more, but provided you have a stand out CV - you should be good.
    Ok thanks

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.