Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I do Physics at University without Physics A Level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ^ As the title says. Also, I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you do a foundation year, then yes. Otherwise, it's extremely unlikely - a small number may accept students without both Maths and Physics (such as Portsmouth for the BSc).

Spoiler:
    Show

also technically at Cambridge you can take Part IA Physics without A-level Physics, if you take 3+ Mechanics options, but it'd be unusual and with the new specs possibly not relevant any more anyway

ReputationRep:
    Normally no however i have seen some universities say that they will consider applicants without physics (but with maths obviously) on a case by case basis, so just look around. If you find one i feel like you would be likely to be one of the few that get considered due to having further maths.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capitata)
    ^ As the title says. Also, I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
    You'll most likely have to do a foundation year. Can't you drop either Biology or Chemistry for Physics?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly some unis would accept you (Portsmouth was mentioned earlier) but you're massively restricting your options, and you're probably not going to be able to get into any very highly regarded unis. Why aren't you taking physics? If it's at all possible you should change, even if it involved doing an extra year at sixth form.

Otherwise a foundation year is an option.

ReputationRep:
    I would urge you to consider switching biology or chemistry with physics, if possible.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I would urge you to consider switching biology or chemistry with physics, if possible.
    Yeah, makes it a lot easier. Then again, if this is OP's last year of A-Levels then I doubt you'll be able to change anything.

ReputationRep:
    you would defiantly be at a disadvantage, but its not impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Yeah, makes it a lot easier. Then again, if this is OP's last year of A-Levels then I doubt you'll be able to change anything.
    skimmed over their posts and it looks like they're in year 12, so they may still have time, though timetabling might not permit them to switch. They might want to consider self-teaching A-level physics in this case, if they really are motivated to read physics.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    skimmed over their posts and it looks like they're in year 12, so they may still have time, though timetabling might not permit them to switch. They might want to consider self-teaching A-level physics in this case, if they really are motivated to read physics.
    Yeah. Schools should allow them to change subjects at this time I think but in a bit they won't anymore. OP should but they will have too many subjects and the costs of exams and practicals will have to be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.
    I think I will have to keep physics as an interest then. At least I won't have to do much of the boring concepts...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.