Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have five A's but I have no idea what to do which really, really scares me. there's no courses that I know of that I'm fully set on or absolutely love. I wanted to do medicine since I was very little because I loved the history of diseases and early treatments, I experienced the hospital environment regularly due to my brothers poor health and I've always felt this need to help people as much as possible. however, when I got to third year I started to waver and not feel as confident as I did about medicine so I decided to do work experience at a surgery and anesthesia department to see if I liked medicine. I went and it wasn't the most pleasant experience as I had a surgeon quizzing my intellectual ability in front of a surgery room with junior doctors in it which knocked my confidence and also I got shouted at by a ward receptionist because she thought I was a junior doctor in my scrubs and apparently there was a case of an accidental overdose of one patient. so safe to say it didnt build up any sort of confidence for me whatsoever. I decided to still persue medicine but on my UKCAT I got 2280 and a band two which knocked me off for applying to any nearby universities.

my main focus in a career is that I want to help people and have people contact everyday like consultations. I've tried to think of back ups like pharmacy but when I read online a clinical textbook on pharmacy, the content didnt capture my interest. I wasn't sure if pharmacy spoke about the developments of disease and the early ways of treating them which captured my interest. if you know, please tell me hahaha.

Stripping right back to the basics, in school my favorite subject is probably chemistry because I have an amazing chemistry department and I've always really, really liked it because of my teachers. I just don't know what job prospects in chemistry allow me to have people contact everyday, apart from becoming a teacher/lecturer.

thank you so much for reading this, I know its so long but I do really, really need some advice and help as I feel like I only have one choice which is a gap year atm and my parents aren't too keen on it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachyyyy)
    I have five A's but I have no idea what to do which really, really scares me. there's no courses that I know of that I'm fully set on or absolutely love. I wanted to do medicine since I was very little because I loved the history of diseases and early treatments, I experienced the hospital environment regularly due to my brothers poor health and I've always felt this need to help people as much as possible. however, when I got to third year I started to waver and not feel as confident as I did about medicine so I decided to do work experience at a surgery and anesthesia department to see if I liked medicine. I went and it wasn't the most pleasant experience as I had a surgeon quizzing my intellectual ability in front of a surgery room with junior doctors in it which knocked my confidence and also I got shouted at by a ward receptionist because she thought I was a junior doctor in my scrubs and apparently there was a case of an accidental overdose of one patient. so safe to say it didnt build up any sort of confidence for me whatsoever. I decided to still persue medicine but on my UKCAT I got 2280 and a band two which knocked me off for applying to any nearby universities.

my main focus in a career is that I want to help people and have people contact everyday like consultations. I've tried to think of back ups like pharmacy but when I read online a clinical textbook on pharmacy, the content didnt capture my interest. I wasn't sure if pharmacy spoke about the developments of disease and the early ways of treating them which captured my interest. if you know, please tell me hahaha.

Stripping right back to the basics, in school my favorite subject is probably chemistry because I have an amazing chemistry department and I've always really, really liked it because of my teachers. I just don't know what job prospects in chemistry allow me to have people contact everyday, apart from becoming a teacher/lecturer.

thank you so much for reading this, I know its so long but I do really, really need some advice and help as I feel like I only have one choice which is a gap year atm and my parents aren't too keen on it.
    Nursing and midwifery
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You're going to have your confidence knocked a lot whatever path you go down, especially healthcare ones. It's all about learning how to pick yourself back up.

ReputationRep:
    this is very true you will get shouted at. but remember you learn from your mistakes. as volibear says its part of the course if youcan cope with it. you can learn to cope withe ups and downs of the job you do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As above - medicine requires a great deal of personal fortitude, and so it's not always the right path even if you are otherwise academically able and want to help people. There are other ways to do that which does not necessarily entail being at the bedside. You may want to consider "basic" science research - for example in biomedical sciences, biochemistry, etc, which would allow you to fulfill your desire to help people (depending on your field - certainly cancer research is a huge area, and cardiac medicine is another very large area) but doesn't have the same working environment. While there are challenging aspects to R&D/academia, you may find juggling deadlines to apply for funding, presenting at conferences, navigating academic politics and so on more suitable for you than the constant scrutiny of medicine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.