Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when to see a doctor about my acne? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I’ve had quite bad acne for a while now and it’s really been affecting my self-esteem. I have a lot of blackheads on my chin, and lots of whiteheads on my forehead. Some of the whiteheads on my chin are hard, full of pus, and generally quite painful. I understand that I’m 15, so some spots can be expected, but this is really getting on my nerves. I don’t want to be known as the boy with all the acne, but that’s how I see myself. Is it worth going to see a doctor for this, or not? I’ve used a range of over-the-counter products, and a few face masks from Lush. Nothing seems to keep them at bay.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Yes, if it's affecting you go and see your GP or you can ask the phamacy if they could recommend anything to help with your acne.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, go to the Doctor If it's affecting your self-esteem then it's definitely worth getting help and there is stuff they can give you on prescription (including possibly antibacterials) that could reduce it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I’ve got an appointment with a GP for a fortnight’s time. Hopefully I’ll get something prescribed
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ptv.tyler)
    So I’ve had quite bad acne for a while now and it’s really been affecting my self-esteem. I have a lot of blackheads on my chin, and lots of whiteheads on my forehead. Some of the whiteheads on my chin are hard, full of pus, and generally quite painful. I understand that I’m 15, so some spots can be expected, but this is really getting on my nerves. I don’t want to be known as the boy with all the acne, but that’s how I see myself. Is it worth going to see a doctor for this, or not? I’ve used a range of over-the-counter products, and a few face masks from Lush. Nothing seems to keep them at bay.
    If you've already tried some other methods with no luck and it's affecting your self esteem then it's definitely time to see your GP. It's no big deal. They'll probably give you some prescription face cream or other topical treatment and let you be on your way.
    It's just like seeing a doc for eczema or anything like that. Just cos it's a common problem, doesn't mean you can't get it sorted.

If that stuff doesn't help then go back and let them know. Do give it a good while to see if it helps though. The leaflet will probably give a general idea of how long it should be before you notice results, but on the whole I'd suggest a month or two.

Good luck. Remember you are so much more than the stuff on your face. Maybe consider a bit of counselling or venting to a service like childline or samaritans (they both have online options) if it's really affecting you.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna just get clear of the acne straight away, ask your gp to refer you to a dermatologist for accutane.

Save yourself the time of being given stuff like duac creams and erythromycin. That stuff barely works anymore.

Say to your Gp if he wont give you accutane first, ask for tablets called trimethoprim 100mg, 6 tablets 3 morning 3 night.

Seriously don't let your Gp waste your time with the weak acne creams and tablets.

Im just telling you from my experience, ofc you can just ignore me lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.