Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Core Medical Training Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disappoint, but I do not think MRCP Part 1 counts during CT1 application. But I encourage everyone (and I mean everyone who wants to do medicine - F1s / F2s) to do their MRCP as soon as possible. So that's September of F2 for Part 1, and then as soon as possible for Part 2 written. I know a few people who has passed all 3 parts by the time they start CT1.

Don't read too much into competition ratios for CT - even at a ratio of 2:1 (if not more), there are people who apply to many specialties and others reject offers so you are always in with a chance. As long as you are reasonably prepared at the CT1 interviews you are very likely to get a job. In our region (not listed in your list) because of the un-competitiveness and the amount of un-filled jobs there are cases where trainees can request both years at a teaching hospital.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Sorry to disappoint, but I do not think MRCP Part 1 counts during CT1 application. But I encourage everyone (and I mean everyone who wants to do medicine - F1s / F2s) to do their MRCP as soon as possible. So that's September of F2 for Part 1, and then as soon as possible for Part 2 written. I know a few people who has passed all 3 parts by the time they start CT1.

Don't read too much into competition ratios for CT - even at a ratio of 2:1 (if not more), there are people who apply to many specialties and others reject offers so you are always in with a chance. As long as you are reasonably prepared at the CT1 interviews you are very likely to get a job. In our region (not listed in your list) because of the un-competitiveness and the amount of un-filled jobs there are cases where trainees can request both years at a teaching hospital.
    MRCP Part 1 is on the application criteria as point scoring so yep it does count!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    MRCP Part 1 is on the application criteria as point scoring so yep it does count!
    On the application website: " MRCP(UK) examinations - this is not an essential requirement for progression to CT1, although the Part 1 examination is desirable, the information is used for management information on the MRCP(UK) progress of the whole CT1 applicant population."

Essentially it is not scored - at interviews they may ask you.

I do free Part 1 and 2 written support for our trainees (CTs F2s and F1s) and the incentive for doing it early is so you have more time doing "other" things in CMT (e.g. your 40 clinic in 2 years!! QIPs amongst other things) and not pressurise yourself.

At ST3 passing Part 1 gets no points, passing Part 2 written only gets you 4 more points, passing PACES only gets you 10 points and passing all parts gives you 14 points.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my CMT application just now and wondering what, if anything, to put in the achievements outside of medicine? I was a volunteer with the British Red Cross for about 6 years but other than my ID badge and training certificates from when I was still in 6th form, I have no more recent evidence. Should I bother mentioning it? I was also involved in some volunteering at uni and do have certificates but they are one off events rather than long term commitments... Again, should I bother putting these down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girl_in_black)
    I'm doing my CMT application just now and wondering what, if anything, to put in the achievements outside of medicine? I was a volunteer with the British Red Cross for about 6 years but other than my ID badge and training certificates from when I was still in 6th form, I have no more recent evidence. Should I bother mentioning it? I was also involved in some volunteering at uni and do have certificates but they are one off events rather than long term commitments... Again, should I bother putting these down?
    Yes, mention it but don't expect it to gather any extra points. It really should be from starting your degree afterwards, but there is no harm (if I was interviewing anyway!) putting it down.

PS The competition for CMT isn't particularly bad, even in London the competition is barely above 2 to 1. So I would relax and just turn up to interviews. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mention it but don't expect it to gather any extra points. It really should be from starting your degree afterwards, but there is no harm (if I was interviewing anyway!) putting it down.

PS The competition for CMT isn't particularly bad, even in London the competition is barely above 2 to 1. So I would relax and just turn up to interviews. Good luck!

Thanks . I know that I won't get points for it, but the CMT personal specification does mention "evidence of altruistic behaviour" so it would be good to tick that box. Plus I have no other relevant achievements to add to that section (my hobbies are very much not related to medicine haha).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks . I know that I won't get points for it, but the CMT personal specification does mention "evidence of altruistic behaviour" so it would be good to tick that box. Plus I have no other relevant achievements to add to that section (my hobbies are very much not related to medicine haha).
    Hey, your hobbies (unless they are trainspotting or other equally nerdy things) will be good to put on your application. Even if it's like "I like tennis and I play every week" - it shows you have a life outside of medicine. If it's "I like trains and I stand in my local station every day for 2 hours after work to photograph them", then I'd hold back from putting it on.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, your hobbies (unless they are trainspotting or other equally nerdy things) will be good to put on your application. Even if it's like "I like tennis and I play every week" - it shows you have a life outside of medicine. If it's "I like trains and I stand in my local station every day for 2 hours after work to photograph them", then I'd hold back from putting it on.
    Hahaha, no, I don't photograph trains It sounds like they actually want something that's relevant to medicine though - like being a team captain would be OK to put down as it shows leadership skills but playing tennis doesn't seem all that relevant...

Also, I'm wondering about how much detail needs to go into the statement of your contribution to a presentation? Is it OK to say I was involved in data collection and analysis, or do I need to say I looked through 300 sets of notes and say exactly what analysis was done etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, no, I don't photograph trains It sounds like they actually want something that's relevant to medicine though - like being a team captain would be OK to put down as it shows leadership skills but playing tennis doesn't seem all that relevant...
    Put down anything and everything, honestly it wouldn't go against you as long as it's not illegal or geeky (if it's geeky but you won awards in it, then put it down!)

Also, I'm wondering about how much detail needs to go into the statement of your contribution to a presentation? Is it OK to say I was involved in data collection and analysis, or do I need to say I looked through 300 sets of notes and say exactly what analysis was done etc. ?
    No, just briefly what you have done. For example I did a QIP in F2, and I did virtually everything. So I just said I identified the need for a QIP, then looked at existing guidelines, then did an audit. I then implemented the change, collected the data, analysed it and presented the findings. That's all they need. I think you have a word limit in terms of the application (bl**dy Oriel!!) anyway so I wouldn't go into specifics - leave that to the interview!

ReputationRep:
    Put down anything and everything, honestly it wouldn't go against you as long as it's not illegal or geeky (if it's geeky but you won awards in it, then put it down!)

No, just briefly what you have done. For example I did a QIP in F2, and I did virtually everything. So I just said I identified the need for a QIP, then looked at existing guidelines, then did an audit. I then implemented the change, collected the data, analysed it and presented the findings. That's all they need. I think you have a word limit in terms of the application (bl**dy Oriel!!) anyway so I wouldn't go into specifics - leave that to the interview!
    That's really helpful, thank you

ReputationRep:
    I have another question... In the presentations/posters sections, the wording is "I have shown a poster at a nation/international medical meeting". Does that mean you need to have presented the poster yourself? I have a poster I did present, and another one (my BSc research project) which did go to a conference by I couldn't go due to exams. Can I say I have "shown" more than 1 poster?

ReputationRep:
    I have another question... In the presentations/posters sections, the wording is "I have shown a poster at a nation/international medical meeting". Does that mean you need to have presented the poster yourself? I have a poster I did present, and another one (my BSc research project) which did go to a conference by I couldn't go due to exams. Can I say I have "shown" more than 1 poster?
    Don't the points max out at one presentation for that section?

If not, in the white space question, I'd describe both accurately, but just claim the points for the one you actually presented.

I think the wording is clear that the points should be if you personally presented it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)

If not, in the white space question, I'd describe both accurately, but just claim the points for the one you actually presented.

I think the wording is clear that the points should be if you personally presented it.
    The Chief is right, you could have presented 100 posters yourself and it will be the same score as if you have presented only one. However by all means put in your additional poster in the free text form!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)

The Chief is right, you could have presented 100 posters yourself and it will be the same score as if you have presented only one. However by all means put in your additional poster in the free text form!
    You get an extra 2 points if you have presented more than one. I guess it's best to claim the points for just one and mention the other one in the free text as Chief Wiggum suggested.

Thanks for your help, guys

ReputationRep:
    You get an extra 2 points if you have presented more than one. I guess it's best to claim the points for just one and mention the other one in the free text as Chief Wiggum suggested.

Thanks for your help, guys
    Oooh didn't know that, do it in any case!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread so far. I am in a slightly different dilemma...I did an intercalated Masters. Does this go under "undergraduate degrees" or under postgraduate degrees. The reason I ask is because it says rather unhelpfully lists intercalated degrees as an undergraduate degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    Interesting thread so far. I am in a slightly different dilemma...I did an intercalated Masters. Does this go under "undergraduate degrees" or under postgraduate degrees. The reason I ask is because it says rather unhelpfully lists intercalated degrees as an undergraduate degree...
    I'd have thought "undergraduate degrees" if you did it prior to receiving your primary medical degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydromancer)
    Undergraduate or postgraduate?

In the event that you have gained a qualification which could be included under either the undergraduate or postgraduate degrees/qualifications section, you can include this under whichever of the two sections you feel is most appropriate.

However, you should only include this under one section or the other, but not both.

If that doesn't help clarify, then email them! They are very good at replying (takes a few days but they do reply).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.