The Student Room Group

Best University For Film/Media Production

Poll

Which university

Hello, I was wanting to get opinions on which is the best university to study a film/media production degree. I have narrowed down my options to the places where I would feel comfortable moving to, some I have visited on open days, others I am still waiting to see. I would just like your opinions on this, and if you know how respectable the universities/courses are. If you have heard of positive or negative experiences, and which has the best facilities (cameras studies etc..) and teachers. My university choices so far are as followed:
Leeds Trinity University - For this university, I am interested in two degrees, Film Degree, and their English & Media degree.
Northumbria - Film & TV Production
Teeside - Film & TV Production
Cumbria - Film & Television
Newcastle - Film and media/film practices
York - Film and Tv Production
Bump. I'm interested in knowing too.
Reply 2
Original post by Pogkaku
What is your preferred choice so far @aza238?

so far my preferred choice is Leeds Trinity, but I'm going to visit York tomorrow so it might change haha. What course/uni are you interested in?
Original post by aza238
so far my preferred choice is Leeds Trinity, but I'm going to visit York tomorrow so it might change haha. What course/uni are you interested in?

Currently looking at doing film, TV or media production at Leeds, Coventry, York or Salford. I heard Bournemouth is good for that as well, but at the moment I feel like it's too far away.

Coventry and Salford have been my main choices from the start but I keep changing my mind about the unis haha.
(edited 6 years ago)
And let me know how you feel about York after visiting!
Reply 5
Original post by Pogkaku
Currently looking at doing film, TV or media production at Leeds, Coventry, York or Salford. I heard Bournemouth is good for that as well, but at the moment I feel like it's too far away.

Coventry and Salford have been my main choices from the start but I keep changing my mind about the unis haha.

That's cool, well I hope you figure out which is the best one for you, and I hope you get a place there :smile:
Hi! I am an international student applying to Film Production BA in the UK.
I have narrowed down to 4 courses, but cannot decide my 5th course.

Courses I am thinking as my 5th option are...
- University of York / Film an Television BSc ( York seems to be a beautiful city haven't heard any negatives on this course. But my concern is it's BSc and might be lacking in creative sides of film production. And it's a balance of Film and Television while I want to focus only on film)
- University of Hertfordshire and University of Gloucestershire ( the content of the courses look good but the location is pretty bad)
- Royal Holloway, University of Greenwich, and Ravensbourne ( they are all in London but not sure about the quality)

I feel the courses I chose are all pretty hard to get in so I am wondering whether I should choose one with a less competition.

Here are the courses I have already made my mind to apply
1. University of Westminster / Film BA (heard it's the best film course in the UK and it's located in Londen = perfect condition for me)
2. University of Middlesex / Film BA ( I heard many positives on this course and located in London)
3. Arts University Bournemouth / Film Production BA (Also it's the best film course in the UK although it is far from London)
4. Norwich University of Art / FIlm And Moving Image Production BA (it's in the middle of nowhere in the UK but the city of Norwich is very beautiful and the uni is located in the center which is a big positive)

I basically chose courses with a good location (close to London, or other big cities like Bournemouth and Norwich), a well-structured module(focused on Film Production, not Television), and a high reputation in the industry. The location is the most important factor for me since I am planning to do placements while studying, so the university located near London is appealing to me.

Anyone having a similar situation? Or anyone who graduated from the courses I listed above?
It would be very nice to hear your advice on my options.
Staffordshire University "Media (Film) Production". Also with options for Documentary/ Drama, Experimental Film, and Advertising and Commercial /Music Video degrees - go to an open day & watch student work online. It's a brilliant degree going from strength to strength over the years (I did this course in the past and keep in touch & still go to the degree shows each year to see the latest work). The focus is on making films throughout your 3 years with an emphasis on independent filmmaking, creativity, experimentation and professional standards. Constant feedback helps you develop very high critical skills. Another vital part of the course is the great morale and team spirit built up amongst students, as well as excellent teaching, technical staff and brilliant access to kit. Seriously, this degree is so good - it will change your life!

Located in the Midlands, which may not be "Central London" but gives a cheaper cost of living and the course is very well resourced, there are transport links to Birmingham, Manchester and London via trains on a day trip basis and several production companies operating within Stoke-on-Trent with links to the course.
You should look much higher up the pipeline: which courses are valued by the type of employers you have in mind for your eventual career?

Quick Reply