The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

OU assignment deadlines

I am looking to start studying with the Open University, however, I have a few questions first.
Firstly, I understand that studying with the OU allows for flexibility when it comes to studying and doing the coursework etc. however, if I am working part time and planning to study part to full time, would I be able to complete the degree in say 4 and a half years compared to the more common 6 years completion for part time study?
So I guess what I'm asking is if I have completed the coursework and want to submit assignments etc. would I be able to submit them upon my completion or are there set days throughout the course in which to submit assignments or whatever by?
Thank you
Original post by Micaela.amy
I am looking to start studying with the Open University, however, I have a few questions first.
Firstly, I understand that studying with the OU allows for flexibility when it comes to studying and doing the coursework etc. however, if I am working part time and planning to study part to full time, would I be able to complete the degree in say 4 and a half years compared to the more common 6 years completion for part time study?
So I guess what I'm asking is if I have completed the coursework and want to submit assignments etc. would I be able to submit them upon my completion or are there set days throughout the course in which to submit assignments or whatever by?
Thank you

You could do a degree in four years, but it'd require taking some modules at the same time (in effect, a full time study load). You can submit your TMAs (written assignments) early if you want (this is not recommended) but your EMA (end of year exam) will be on a specific date.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Each module will have a fixed start and end date, and in between those the will be fixed dates for assignments to be handed in along the way, usually with either a final assignment or an exam at the very end. You can hand things in earlier than the deadline, but doing this a very long way in advance isn't necessarily a good idea because you'd miss out on the advice and support available around the time everyone else is doing the work (both from the module team and from your peers). An exam, obviously, can't be done early because it's on a specific date.

Also, even if you hand everything in early for one module, you won't get the results any earlier, because there will be fixed dates for this; and you won't be able to start your next module any earlier, because they start on fixed dates (usually October and sometimes February).

Many people do study at full-time pace with the OU - I usually suggest doing 60 credits (part-time pace) to start with, and then upping the pace if you find you can cope. If you do find you need to stick to 60 credits at a time, those extra couple of years will pass surprisingly quickly!
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
You could do a degree in four years, but it'd require taking some modules at the same time (in effect, a full time study load). You can submit your TMAs (written assignments) early if you want (this is not recommended) but your EMA (end of year exam) will be on a specific date.

Thank you for the clarification.
Regards.
Reply 4
Original post by Persipan
Each module will have a fixed start and end date, and in between those the will be fixed dates for assignments to be handed in along the way, usually with either a final assignment or an exam at the very end. You can hand things in earlier than the deadline, but doing this a very long way in advance isn't necessarily a good idea because you'd miss out on the advice and support available around the time everyone else is doing the work (both from the module team and from your peers). An exam, obviously, can't be done early because it's on a specific date.

Also, even if you hand everything in early for one module, you won't get the results any earlier, because there will be fixed dates for this; and you won't be able to start your next module any earlier, because they start on fixed dates (usually October and sometimes February).

Many people do study at full-time pace with the OU - I usually suggest doing 60 credits (part-time pace) to start with, and then upping the pace if you find you can cope. If you do find you need to stick to 60 credits at a time, those extra couple of years will pass surprisingly quickly!

Thank you for the clarification.
Regards.
Pretty sure I had 6 extensions for a module once lol. Tutors can add a Max of 10 days, anything more requires approval by the 'academic' staff. Their policy is , if you ask for an extension they give it aslong as it's a day before.

Delaying exam requires medical letter from Dr.

Quick Reply