Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm looking to apply for masters courses in neuroscience, but I'm wondering what the best to go for is? I'm getting confused between the terms of some of the closely related subjects, and I'm wondering whether it's just best to go for 'neuroscience' by itself. Could someone please explain the different terms so I can check the understanding of it?

Also, I'm wondering whether to do a masters or a PhD. My degree was in Psychology and so a masters would be a smaller jump to make. I'm not sure on career prospects, but I am simply fascinated by neuroscience, and I believe it's what I should be doing. What sort of careers would I be looking for in the end?

Finally, if anyone has any University suggestions for good neuroscience courses, I would love to hear about them. I'm currently looking at Sussex as a main choice. Does anyone know what it is like?

Thanks a lot!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saryn)
    Hello,

I'm looking to apply for masters courses in neuroscience, but I'm wondering what the best to go for is? I'm getting confused between the terms of some of the closely related subjects, and I'm wondering whether it's just best to go for 'neuroscience' by itself. Could someone please explain the different terms so I can check the understanding of it?

Also, I'm wondering whether to do a masters or a PhD. My degree was in Psychology and so a masters would be a smaller jump to make. I'm not sure on career prospects, but I am simply fascinated by neuroscience, and I believe it's what I should be doing. What sort of careers would I be looking for in the end?

Finally, if anyone has any University suggestions for good neuroscience courses, I would love to hear about them. I'm currently looking at Sussex as a main choice. Does anyone know what it is like?

Thanks a lot!
    What terms are you confused about? Cognitive is more academic and clinical is clinic and patient focused. Doing a masters and/or PhD should really be with a specific career in mind rather than for the sake of doing one so it's a good idea to do some research about what you want to do first and then consider what your next steps should be. You may want to get some work or research experience first. Go through each course with a fine toothed comb and then work out which one interests you most. Only you can do that. Read up on what will be taught to help you understand it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.