Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First job, 11 weeks in, haven't paid income tax :S Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Sorry if this section is inappropriate, wasn't quite sure where to place it.

I started my first job on the 25/07/17, after having finished university the month prior (I hope for this job to be temporary until I find something better, and in between applying for graduate roles), so I'm now 11 weeks into the job.

I'm paid at a rate of £8 per hour, at 37.5hours each week, paid weekly (£300 before tax), which I've received every week except my first week, where I only completed 30hours, having started on the Tuesday.

My first pay slip, I was paid £240 before tax, and received £226.44 after paying £9.96 in NI and £3.60 in Income Tax. My second pay slip refunded me the £3.60 and instead I paid just £17.16 in NI, receiving £286.44. All my payslips since then have been £17.16 in NI and £0 in Income Tax.

Why am I not being income taxed? Several colleagues that I've spoken to are either being income taxed or aren't.. there isn't any consistency, except for our tax codes being the same (1150L)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Peddeh)
    Hi there,

I started my first job on the 25/07/17, after having finished university the month prior (I hope for this job to be temporary until I find something better, and in between applying for graduate roles), so I'm now 11 weeks into the job.

I'm paid at a rate of £8 per hour, at 37.5hours each week, paid weekly (£300 before tax), which I've received every week except my first week, where I only completed 30hours, having started on the Tuesday.

My first pay slip, I was paid £240 before tax, and received £226.44 after paying £9.96 in NI and £3.60 in Income Tax. My second pay slip refunded me the £3.60 and instead I paid just £17.16 in NI, receiving £286.44. All my payslips since then have been £17.16 in NI and £0 in Income Tax.

Why am I not being income taxed? Several colleagues that I've spoken to are either being income taxed or aren't.. there isn't any consistency, except for our tax codes being the same (1150L)
    Everyone gets a tax free allowance of £11500 per tax year, which means you don't pay tax on the first £11500 that you earn. The tax year runs from April to April. Depending on when you started, it's very likely you're not going to earn that much before April 2018 - you'll be earning around £10,000 but this will vary if you started earlier.

It's most likely your colleagues who are getting taxed have had other jobs since April 2017. You're close to the tax threshold, so they only need to have earned around £1500 to be liable to pay tax - a part time job of 8 hours a week would be enough.

EDIT: I've just noticed the title says you've worked there for 11 weeks. That would put your earnings for this tax year maybe a teeny bit over the threshold, assuming your figures are accurate. You only get taxed on anything you earn over £11,500 so you may pay a small amount in tax this year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

If you start working in the middle of the financial year you don't start paying tax until you've earned £11,500. From April 2018 assuming you are still employed you should then get tax taken from each payslip.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'd phone hmrc just to make sure its correct. If not they can sort it now rather than have any nasty surprises later.

ReputationRep:
    so pls how can i apply for it.If i want to work

ReputationRep:
    Apply for what?

ReputationRep:
    the job
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Dominic frimpong)
    so pls how can i apply for it.If i want to work
    This is someone elses thread. You'd get more responses if you start your own.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.