The Student Room Group

Which Exam board for GCSE Science 9-1.

I am currently starting my GCSE’s in Year 9 and our physics teacher has asked us to vote on which exam board we should take. She has given us 4 options:1) Edexcel GCSE 9-1 1PH02) AQA GCSE 9-1 84633) WJEC Eduqas GCSE 9-1 601/8624/04) OCR GCSE 9-1 Gateway Suite J249Can you help me decide which exam board to vote for in terms of their content, exam style etc. Thanks
Reply 1
AQA
Reply 2
How on earth have the class got the knowledge to make a sensible choice? I'd try to change Physics teachers.
I do Edexcel and find it quite easy. The content is concise and the textbooks are nice. The exams are also not that difficult. They do checklists for each topic test and as long as you make notes on each point (and answering the easy textbook questions for the topic) you can easily get 30- full marks without learning irrelevant info.
Reply 4
AQA.
Original post by Compost
How on earth have the class got the knowledge to make a sensible choice? I'd try to change Physics teachers.

This. If not possible AQA.
To make a decision you should download the exam papers from each board and look at the exam format and syllabus content of what you would study.
I highly doubt your class will do any research.
Reply 7
AQA without a doubt.
Reply 8
Could you give me any indication why in terms of content and question easiness. Also, can you give me advice on any textbooks/revision guides.
AQA, most people do it so you'll be able to find more revision resources for it.
AQA by a mile
aqa
AQA
Edexcel :smile:
Reply 14
AQA is the most widely used as far as I'm aware. This means that a lot more of the revision resources will be based on the AQA specification. My personal favourite revision resources (for example, Freesciencelessons) do use AQA. With this in mind, I'd definitely suggest AQA.

That being said, however, I don't know why your teacher is giving a group of year 9s who likely don't know what they'd be getting themselves into and probably have no idea what each exam board would entail/what would be best suited to your learning. That, in my opinion, is slightly irresponsible of her. However, you asked which exam board, so to answer your question, definitely AQA :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest